Niblett, McMyler Share Lead at Texas Girls' Invitational
Sugar Land, TEXAS – Makenzie Niblett of Austin and Emma McMyler of San Antonio sit atop the leaderboard at the ninth annual Texas Girl’s Invitational after Saturday's first round. Each carded a 3-under par 69 at rain-soaked Sugar Creek Country Club.
Following Friday afternoon’s practice rounds and into Saturday morning, Sugar Creek Country Club received a significant amount of rain. Much of the greater Houston area has received rain throughout most of September. Sugar Creek CC was no different, and with early morning rain and lightning, tournament officials delayed starting times by one hour and 30 minutes.
Once play started at 9:30 am, the course was wet and played longer than the 5,848 yard layout due to virtually no roll on most shots. That didn’t change Niblett’s outlook on her round though.
“I just delayed my warmup and chilled for a little bit,” Niblett said prior to her first round. “I am ready to go play and this won’t change my plan much.”
“My game is pure right now. I don’t have any weaknesses and I’m looking forward to try and defend this weekend.”
Niblett, Junior Golf Scoreboard’s 69th ranked junior golfer, is off to a solid start trying to be the first two-time champion of the Texas Girls’ Invitational. After a bogey at the difficult opening hole, a 513-yard par-5, she settled in and carded eight straight pars to go out in 1-over 37. She caught fire on her back nine though, making birdies at holes 10, 12, 14, 16 and 17.
“My putter was really good today. I made quite a few putts on that back nine and look forward to getting some rest and getting back out there tomorrow.”
Playing four groups behind Niblett, McMyler was quietly having her own stellar round. A recent winner of two STPGA Prestige Tour events, MyMyler came in hot, and is looking to continue her momentum at one of the largest and strongest girls-only events in Texas.
“I am coming off two wins, and am very confident right now,” McMyler said.
Like Niblett, McMyler started off with a bogey on the opening hole. Her round included five birdies, and one other bogey on the par-5 12th hole.
“I hit my irons really well today. I hit 15 or 16 greens today and made a couple putts to save par and made a few putts coming in for birdie.
“Everybody else is playing the same course as me, so the weather didn’t really have a major impact on my round. Tomorrow, I need to stick to what I did well today, hitting greens and giving myself looks at birdie.”
While Niblett looks to win back-to-back Texas Girls’ Invitationals, McMyler will look to capture her first Legends Junior Tour victory Sunday afternoon.
The duo sit at the top of the leaderboard with a wide gap to their chasers. Katy’s Isha Dhruva sits alone in third place, three shots back of Niblett and McMyler. Dhruva’s even-par 72 included four birdies and four bogeys.
A pack of six girls sit in a tie for fourth place at 1-over 73. The group includes Natalie Cao, Christine Wang, 3 time Girls LJT Player of the Year Hailey Jones, Ashley Yen, Olivia Mitchell, and Avery Zweig. Four other girls are tied for 10th place heading into Sunday’s final round.
The final round of the Texas Girls’ Invitational is scheduled to start Sunday at 8:00 am off the first tee at Sugar Creek Country Club.
For full first round results, please click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes