Round 2 Suspended at Texas Senior Amateur
AUSTIN – The second round of the 2018 Texas Senior Amateur was suspended because of darkness at 7:18 p.m. on Saturday after more than an inch of rain The Hills Country Club led to a two-hour delay in the middle of the round.
(Click here for current scores.)
Mike Booker, a 10-time winner in TGA Championships, finished his second round in near-darkness. He holds the clubhouse lead at 4-under-par 140. The 63-year-old from Houston shot a second consecutive 2-under 70 in Saturday’s weather-plagued second round. He currently holds a five-shot lead over the best senior amateurs in Texas.
“I’m playing well. I like the way I’m playing,” said Booker, who in 2015 won the Texas Senior Amateur and the Texas Senior Player of the Year award. “It’s cliché stuff, but you have to take it one shot of the time in bad weather. I haven’t played this course in 40-some years, but it’s a really great course. A thinking man’s course.”
Over the past few weeks, The Hills have taken on more than 15 inches of rain. More fell Saturday morning. Play was suspended briefly at 10:35 a.m. while some heavy showers passed through the scenic and challenging Jack Nicklaus Signature Course and caused unplayable conditions. Play quickly resumed at 10:48 a.m.
Later in the day, heavier rains and lightning in the area dogged the course and play was suspended again at 3:01 p.m. This delay lasted two hours; players were back in position and restarted at 5:02 p.m.
Thirty-eight competitors were unable to complete their second round. For them, play will resume at 8 a.m. on Sunday. Following the conclusion of the second round, the field will be cut to the low 54 scores and ties. The final round will begin at 10:45 a.m. on Sunday. By the end of the day, a Senior Amateur Champion will be crowned.
Michael Lohner, a 56-year-old from Southlake, is currently tied for second place at 1-over-par 145 with Lewis Stephenson, the first round lead and 2016 champion. Stephenson’s round was interrupted by the suspension for darkness. He’s 5-over through 15 holes in his second round.
Lohner struggled to a 4-over 76 in the second round after shooting 3-under on Friday. After four consecutive bogeys to start his second round, Lohner fought back admirably with four birdies over his final 14 holes.
“It was incredibly tough out there today,” he said. “When the rain came down, chipping was tough, putting was tough, hitting the ball was tough. It was just a tough day. Mentally, at least for me, I was fighting everything all day. I have to go low tomorrow.”
Gene Black from Georgetown holds fourth place at 2-over 146. Four birdies helped him post 1-under 71 in his second round.
Three players are tied for fifth place at 3-over 147. Chuck Palmer shot an even-par 72 on Saturday to get to 147; Fort Worth’s John Grace and Juan Salcedo of The Woodlands are also 3-over par overall, but both players were unable to complete their second rounds.
For more information on the 2018 Texas Senior Amateur, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes