Round 2 Suspended at Texas Senior Amateur
AUSTIN – The second round of the 2018 Texas Senior Amateur was suspended because of darkness at 7:18 p.m. on Saturday after more than an inch of rain The Hills Country Club led to a two-hour delay in the middle of the round.
(Click here for current scores.)
Mike Booker, a 10-time winner in TGA Championships, finished his second round in near-darkness. He holds the clubhouse lead at 4-under-par 140. The 63-year-old from Houston shot a second consecutive 2-under 70 in Saturday’s weather-plagued second round. He currently holds a five-shot lead over the best senior amateurs in Texas.
“I’m playing well. I like the way I’m playing,” said Booker, who in 2015 won the Texas Senior Amateur and the Texas Senior Player of the Year award. “It’s cliché stuff, but you have to take it one shot of the time in bad weather. I haven’t played this course in 40-some years, but it’s a really great course. A thinking man’s course.”
Over the past few weeks, The Hills have taken on more than 15 inches of rain. More fell Saturday morning. Play was suspended briefly at 10:35 a.m. while some heavy showers passed through the scenic and challenging Jack Nicklaus Signature Course and caused unplayable conditions. Play quickly resumed at 10:48 a.m.
Later in the day, heavier rains and lightning in the area dogged the course and play was suspended again at 3:01 p.m. This delay lasted two hours; players were back in position and restarted at 5:02 p.m.
Thirty-eight competitors were unable to complete their second round. For them, play will resume at 8 a.m. on Sunday. Following the conclusion of the second round, the field will be cut to the low 54 scores and ties. The final round will begin at 10:45 a.m. on Sunday. By the end of the day, a Senior Amateur Champion will be crowned.
Michael Lohner, a 56-year-old from Southlake, is currently tied for second place at 1-over-par 145 with Lewis Stephenson, the first round lead and 2016 champion. Stephenson’s round was interrupted by the suspension for darkness. He’s 5-over through 15 holes in his second round.
Lohner struggled to a 4-over 76 in the second round after shooting 3-under on Friday. After four consecutive bogeys to start his second round, Lohner fought back admirably with four birdies over his final 14 holes.
“It was incredibly tough out there today,” he said. “When the rain came down, chipping was tough, putting was tough, hitting the ball was tough. It was just a tough day. Mentally, at least for me, I was fighting everything all day. I have to go low tomorrow.”
Gene Black from Georgetown holds fourth place at 2-over 146. Four birdies helped him post 1-under 71 in his second round.
Three players are tied for fifth place at 3-over 147. Chuck Palmer shot an even-par 72 on Saturday to get to 147; Fort Worth’s John Grace and Juan Salcedo of The Woodlands are also 3-over par overall, but both players were unable to complete their second rounds.
For more information on the 2018 Texas Senior Amateur, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes