Barker Leads after Second Round of Women's Senior Stroke Play Championship
HOUSTON – Marian Barker of Lubbock leads the 2018 Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship by nine shots after posting a two-round total of 74-76—150 on Tuesday at Northgate Country Club. Mission’s Stephanie Blount is in second place at 159.
Heading into Wednesday’s final round, Barker finds herself atop the leaderboard, a position with which she should be quite comfortable. She is a two-time champion of this event, winning back-to-back titles in 2008 and 2009. She added another top-5 finish to her resume in last year’s championship, finishing fifth. She also won the 2011 Women’s Four-Ball Championship.
Barker labored through a rain-soaked and disjointed first round on Monday that featured two weather delays before its eventual suspension. However, she came out firing on all cylinders when play resumed Tuesday morning. She finished the round with a flurry of three birdies in five holes. Her first-round 74 gave her a five stroke lead before teeing off again in the afternoon for round two.
Barker’s encore performance was a solid afternoon round of 76. She shot a front nine total of 1-over-par 37 before stumbling a bit on the back with a 39. Blount rebounded from her first-round 84 to shoot a 75 in the afternoon frame, good for the low score of the round. Montgomery’s Marlene Summers and Houston’s Meg Christensen are tied for third place at 160 overall, 10 strokes behind Barker. Jan Rapp of Dallas rounds out the top five with a total score of 83-81—164.
Rapp’s score puts her in first place in the Super Senior Division for golfers between the ages of 65-70. She leads Kemberly Barrett of Woodway by 22 strokes heading into the final round. After not seeing a single red number over her first 25 holes of the championship, Rapp charged hard with four birdies in her final 10 holes Tuesday afternoon. Her second round score of 81 reflected her strong finish.
Meanwhile, in the Super Super Senior Division (71+), it is more of the same for Nannette Wheelis of Waco. The two-time defending Super Super Senior champion takes a two stroke lead into the final round. She fired identical rounds of 87 to help her take the lead over Houston’s Pam Almandoz. After returning her trophy on Monday morning, Wheelis will try to use a strong round Wednesday to help her bring it back home for a third consecutive year.
Wednesday’s final round tees off at 9 a.m. from Northgate CC. Click here for complete championship information, including final round pairings and full leaderboard.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes