Barker Wins Women's Senior Stroke Play Championship
HOUSTON – Marian Barker of Lubbock shot a final round 77 on Wednesday to cap off a wire-to-wire victory at the 2018 Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship. Barker won by six strokes after shooting 74-76-77—227 overall. This marks her third career victory at this event and her first since winning back-to-back in 2008-09. However, that didn’t make the victory any less important to her.
“This is such a prestigious event, and you look at the names on the trophy,” Barker said. “It’s pretty special.”
Stephanie Blount tied for the low round of the tournament with a 74 on Wednesday, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Barker’s sterling performance. Blount finished second, six strokes behind. Jan Rapp and Meg Christensen finished tied for third, and Marlene Summers came in fifth.
Wet and cold conditions were prevalent throughout the 54-hole event, making it tough for the field to shoot low. Barker was the only player to shoot all three rounds in the 70s. She said her hometown conditions might have given her the advantage she needed to play so well all week.
“I practice and play in Lubbock,” she said with a laugh. “So it really wasn’t all that different.”
That familiarity gave her all the confidence she needed. Her goal on each hole was just to hit the ball solidly, get on the green and two-putt. Clearly, her plan worked. It worked so well, in fact, that she entered the final round in an unfamiliar position.
“I had never been in a place where I had a nine-shot lead,” she said. “It was kind of uncomfortable.”
If she did feel nerves with a big lead, , it didn’t reflect in her play. She attributes that to sticking to her game plan and taking it one hole at a time.
After winning her fourth Texas Golf Association state championship, Barker has her sights set on something bigger.
“I’d like to try for the (U.S. Women’s) Senior Open someday,” Barker said.
Jan Rapp, who finished tied for third overall, won the Super Senior division (65-70) by 37 strokes after shooting an overall total of 240, highlighted by a final round score of 76. She finished her week on a high note with consecutive birdies on Nos. 17 and 18.
In the Super Super Senior Division (71+), Pam Almandoz came back in the final round to knock off two-time defending champion Nannette Wheelis. Almandoz shot a final-round 83 to win comfortably in her division. She was all smiles after her strong finish in her first ever TGA championship.
The Texas Golf Association would like to extend its sincere gratitude to the membership and staff at Northgate Country Club for their hard work and hospitality throughout the week. The grounds crew did a fantastic job of keeping the course in great condition despite all the rain.
Click here for full championship details and final results.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes