Top Players Ready for Texas Shootout
After a comprehensive 15-month, multimillion dollar building and renovation project, The Clubs at Houston Oaks was unveiled in April 2017 on an expansive property west of Houston along Highway 290 that was the former site of Tennwood Country Club.
The centerpiece of the family friendly retreat is the Chet Williams-designed golf course. Williams, who also designed top-ranked Whispering Pines Golf Club in Trinity, routed the new course between massive oaks, rolling terrain and natural water features. With tree-lined fairways, nearly 80 strategically placed bunkers and plenty of intricate movements in and around the green complexes, The Clubs at Houston Oaks provides a challenging test for players of all skill levels.
First conducted in 2003, the season-ending Texas Shootout is by invitation-only and features the top 12 players (eight mid-amateurs and four seniors) from North Texas squaring off against their counterparts from South Texas in a Ryder Cup-style competition.
Players earn their way onto their respective teams by accumulating points throughout the year in designated TGA regional and statewide tournaments, as well as USGA national championships. North and South regions are defined as either being above or below the 31’ parallel (Salado, Texas).
Of the eight mid-amateurs selected from each region, five come from the TGA Statewide Player of the Year point standings and three from the Regional Player of the Year point standings. The top four North and South senior players are chosen based on the Statewide Senior Player of the Year point standings.
The format for the Shootout includes foursome, four-ball and singles matches. A total of 24 matches will be played over the two days. Each match is worth three points – one point each for front nine, back nine and 18 – making for 72 available points. The first team to accumulate 36½ points is the winner.
Skippered by playing captain Lewis Stephenson of Mansfield, the North team bested the South squad, 43½ to 28½, at the 2017 Texas Shootout contested at Maridoe Golf Club in Carrollton. The South now leads the overall series 8-7.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available at txga.org once the action gets underway from The Clubs at Houston Oaks.
2018 TEXAS SHOOTOUT NOTES:
North Team: Scott Abbott (Dallas), Tate Allred (Perrytown), Jay Csipkes (McKinney), Anthony Estorga (Dallas), Jake Istnick (Dallas), *Mike Lohner (Southlake), *Chuck Palmer (Dallas), *Mike Peck (Irving), Micah Rodgers (Odessa), *Lewis Stephenson (Mansfield), John Stollenwerck (Dallas) and Chris Wheeler (Addison).
South Team: *Bobby Baugh (San Antonio), Jess Bonneau (Houston), *Mike Booker (Houston), Ryan Clarke (Houston), Jacob Davis (Cibolo), *Chris Hartenstein (Austin), Broc Haymon (Pearland), John Hunter (The Woodlands), Josh Luongo (Round Rock), *John Pierce (San Antonio), Devaughn Robinson (Houston) and Grant Schroeder (Montgomery).
*Indicates senior player representative
Schedule of Events:
Friday, October 26
11:00 a.m. – Registration
12:30 – 12:50 p.m. – Practice Rounds (South)
1:00 – 1:20 p.m. – Practice Rounds (North)
6:00 p.m. – Cocktail Reception & Match Draw
Saturday, October 27
8:00 – 8:50 a.m. – Foursome Matches
12:30 – 1:20 p.m. – Four-Ball Matches
6:30 p.m. – Player’s Dinner
Sunday, October 28
8:00 – 9:28 a.m. – Singles Matches; Awards presentation following conclusion of play.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes