Griggs, Mierl Lead Texas Cup After Windy First Round
Fort Worth – Matthew Griggs and Trevor Mierl are tied atop the Texas Cup Invitational leaderboard after shooting 1-under 70 at Ridglea Country Club’s North Course during gusty conditions on Saturday.
Prosper’s Griggs started on hole No. 10 Saturday, making a bogey on the 385-yard par 4. He bounced back with a birdie on the next hole but dropped another shot on No. 12. Griggs strung together five pars before making a birdie on the par-5 18th to get back to even-par.
After a bogey on No. 3, his 12th hole of the day, he played the final six holes at 2-under to get to 1-under on the day and one stroke ahead of the field.
“I’ve been working on the position of the ball while putting and putted really well today,” said Griggs, “I adjusted to a lower ball flight today and worked on hitting fairways.”
Austin’s Mierl also started on hole No. 10, but teed off in the last group of the day. He was 3-over after his first five holes, but settled in and played his final 13 holes at 4-under. He made birdie on the par-4 14th, the par-5 18th and then both par 3s on the front nine for.
Winds were fierce throughout the first round of the Texas Cup Invitational. They stayed around 25 miles per hour throughout the day and gusted upwards of 40 miles per hour all day long. Players tightened their hats as they maneuvered through the par-71 layout at Ridglea Country Club.
This is the second year that Ridglea Country Club has hosted the Texas Cup Invitational. The North Course at RCC is being played at 6,477 yards for the 78-player field. The course features tight fairways and elevated greens that range from small to smaller.
Five players are tied for third and trail the leaders by one stroke heading into Sunday’s Final Round. McKinney’s Cody Winkler will play with the final group on Sunday, made three birdies during his even-par 71 in the first round.
Austin’s Thomas Bockholt III, who leads the Boys 15-18 Division Player of the year Standings, made three birdies and an eagle en route to his even-par 71, while fellow Austin-native Evan Vo made four birdies on the day, including three in a four-hole stretch to shoot 71.
Kingwood’s Damin Strydom made four birdies throughout his opening-round 71, while Grand Prairie’s Rondarius Walters made four birdies and finished with an eagle on the par-5 18th to shoot even-par and into a tie for third.
Houston’s Drew Murdock, Mansfield’s Brendan Powers, Plano’s Matthew Comegys, San Marcos’ Trace Martin and Dallas’ Chance Mulligan are all tied for sixth and only two strokes back heading into Sunday.
Jake Holbrook of Granbury, Austin Chung of Austin, Karson Grigsby of Abilene and Cooper New of Comfort are all tied for 13th and three strokes back of the leaders.
The final round of the Texas Cup Invitational is scheduled to start at 7:30 am on Nov. 4. Players will be paired according to scores from the first round with the leaders teeing off the No. 1 tee around 9:30 am at Ridglea Country Club’s North Course.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!14 Likes