Griggs, Mierl Lead Texas Cup After Windy First Round
Fort Worth – Matthew Griggs and Trevor Mierl are tied atop the Texas Cup Invitational leaderboard after shooting 1-under 70 at Ridglea Country Club’s North Course during gusty conditions on Saturday.
Prosper’s Griggs started on hole No. 10 Saturday, making a bogey on the 385-yard par 4. He bounced back with a birdie on the next hole but dropped another shot on No. 12. Griggs strung together five pars before making a birdie on the par-5 18th to get back to even-par.
After a bogey on No. 3, his 12th hole of the day, he played the final six holes at 2-under to get to 1-under on the day and one stroke ahead of the field.
“I’ve been working on the position of the ball while putting and putted really well today,” said Griggs, “I adjusted to a lower ball flight today and worked on hitting fairways.”
Austin’s Mierl also started on hole No. 10, but teed off in the last group of the day. He was 3-over after his first five holes, but settled in and played his final 13 holes at 4-under. He made birdie on the par-4 14th, the par-5 18th and then both par 3s on the front nine for.
Winds were fierce throughout the first round of the Texas Cup Invitational. They stayed around 25 miles per hour throughout the day and gusted upwards of 40 miles per hour all day long. Players tightened their hats as they maneuvered through the par-71 layout at Ridglea Country Club.
This is the second year that Ridglea Country Club has hosted the Texas Cup Invitational. The North Course at RCC is being played at 6,477 yards for the 78-player field. The course features tight fairways and elevated greens that range from small to smaller.
Five players are tied for third and trail the leaders by one stroke heading into Sunday’s Final Round. McKinney’s Cody Winkler will play with the final group on Sunday, made three birdies during his even-par 71 in the first round.
Austin’s Thomas Bockholt III, who leads the Boys 15-18 Division Player of the year Standings, made three birdies and an eagle en route to his even-par 71, while fellow Austin-native Evan Vo made four birdies on the day, including three in a four-hole stretch to shoot 71.
Kingwood’s Damin Strydom made four birdies throughout his opening-round 71, while Grand Prairie’s Rondarius Walters made four birdies and finished with an eagle on the par-5 18th to shoot even-par and into a tie for third.
Houston’s Drew Murdock, Mansfield’s Brendan Powers, Plano’s Matthew Comegys, San Marcos’ Trace Martin and Dallas’ Chance Mulligan are all tied for sixth and only two strokes back heading into Sunday.
Jake Holbrook of Granbury, Austin Chung of Austin, Karson Grigsby of Abilene and Cooper New of Comfort are all tied for 13th and three strokes back of the leaders.
The final round of the Texas Cup Invitational is scheduled to start at 7:30 am on Nov. 4. Players will be paired according to scores from the first round with the leaders teeing off the No. 1 tee around 9:30 am at Ridglea Country Club’s North Course.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes