Austin's Bockholt Wins Texas Cup Invitational
Fort Worth – Thomas Bockholt III stuck a 230-yard approach shot to 17 feet and made birdie on the first playoff hole to win the 2018 Texas Cup Invitational at Ridglea Country Club’s North Course Sunday afternoon.
Austin’s Bockholt shot 2-under 69 in the final round to get into a tie with Prosper’s Matthew Griggs after 36 holes.
The playoff went to No. 18, which is a 500-yard par-5 that doglegs left. Bockholt’s drive hit a tree and the Rice commit was just looking to get it close to the green.
“I knew it was right at the hole, but I didn’t think it would get that close,” said Bockholt following his round.
The ball was 17 feet short of the hole and Bockholt was able to two-putt and win the playoff after Griggs missed the green with this second shot and failed to get up and down.
Bockholt stared his day off with a birdie on the par-5 first hole and fell back to even-par on the day with a bogey on the par-4 fifth. He made the turn at even-par and proceeded to birdie the first two holes on the back side to get to 2-under on the day. He made bogey on No. 13 but made birdie on the 370-yard 16th to get back to 2-under overall.
Prosper’s Griggs, who was tied for the lead entering the final round, played well to start the day, making three birdies and nine pars in his first 12 holes. The Arkansas commit made three bogeys in a five-hole stretch but finished with a birdie on the 18th green.
His approach shot in the playoff hole was short left of the green. His chip didn’t run out once it got on the green and he two-putted for a par.
Pearland’s Sebastian Moss, Austin’s Evan Vo and Plano’s Matthew Comegys all tied for third. Moss shot 3-under 68 in the final round, which was the lowest score of the weekend, while Comegys shot 1-over 72 and Vo posted a 2-over 73 on Sunday.
Four players tied for sixth place including Flower Mounds’ Rohit Madireddi, who shot 1-under 70 in the final round. Comfort’s Cooper New posted rounds of 73-72 to get to 3-over, while McKinney’s Cody Winkler and Kingwood’s Damin Strydom each shot 71-74.
Dawson Ovard, Shoichiro Kato, Trace Martin and Drew Murdock tied for tenth at 4-over 146, while defending champion Brandon Massey tied for 14th with Brendan Powers and Trevor Mierl at 5-over 147.
Ridglea Country Club hosted the Texas Cup Invitational for the second year in a row. The North Course features tight fairways along with small greens and the course’s 6,500 yard, par 71 layout requires precision and touch. The course was built in 1928 and redesigned in 1987 by Jay Morrish.
The Texas Cup Invitational concludes the 2018 Legends Junior Tour Season and the Jackie Burke Cup matches are next up at Moody Gardens Golf Course Nov. 10-11. The matches feature the top 12 players from North Texas facing the top 12 players from South Texas. Teams are determined based on their rankings on the LJT Player of the Year Points List.
With the win, Bockholt secured his Player of the Year Award in the Boys 15-18 Division. He finished the year with two wins and seven top-5 finishes. His previous win came at the Spring Preview at BlackHorse Golf Club in March. Bockholt will lead the South Team down in Galveston as they look to win the Jackie Burke Cup for the first time since 2013.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes