Smith, Phillips Captain Jackie Burke Cup Teams
Dallas – A pair of current college teammates at Texas A&M University, Brandon Smith and Chandler Phillips, will square off as captains in the 2018 Jackie Burke Cup Matches at Moody Gardens Golf Course on Nov. 10-11.
The North Team has won the last four Jackie Burke Cup Matches and will look to even up the overall record with a win in 2018. The South Team boasts a 7-6 record in the matches, but is looking for its first win since 2013.
The Jackie Burke Cup Matches consist of three rounds of matches as teams of 12 players tee off against each other. Matches are each worth two points and a tied match after 18 holes is split to one point for each team. The matches start with six Four-ball matches on Saturday morning and then head right into six Foursome matches in the afternoon. On Sunday, players are selected for 12 Singles Matches, leaving 48 possible points to be earned on the weekend. The North Team will need 24 points to retain the cup, while the South Team will need 25 points to win the cup.
Smith will be captaining the North Team and is a two-time member of the team in the matches, which includes earning six points in 2014 as the North Team won 27-21. The Frisco native won the Boys 15-18 Player of the Year honors in 2013 and has a 5-1-0 record in the Jackie Burke Cup. His lone win on the Legends Junior Tour was at the Winter Classic in 2014. At Texas A&M, Smith is a Junior and earned honorable mention PING All-American honors last year. He played in 12 events as a sophomore, including a tie for 11th place at the NCAA Championship, which led his team and helped to advance to match play.
Phillips is the captain of the South Team and was a member of the team the last time it defeated the North. The three-time winner on the Legends Junior Tour boasts a 6-3-0 record in the Jackie Burke Cup Matches, including a 5-1-0 record in matches the South Team won in 2013 and 2012. The senior at Texas A&M has six career wins for the Aggies, which is a record for career wins at the school. He has received First-Team PING All-American honors along with being named a First-Team All-SEC performer. Phillips has been a member of the All-Nicklaus Team along with being a semifinalist for the Division I Jack Nicklaus National Player of the Year Award and has been chosen to represent the United States at the Palmer Cup.
The two current teammates squared off three times in the Jackie Burke Cup Matches. In 2013, Phillips teamed up with Max Miller, who is also on the Texas A&M Golf Team, to beat Smith and Blaine Hale Jr., who captained the North Team to victory in 2017, 1-up in the Foursome matches. Smith bounced back in 2014, playing with Ryan Grider to earn four points off Phillips and Miller in the Four-Ball and Foursome matches at Champions Golf Club. Smith holds a 2-1-0 record against Phillips in the Jackie Burke Cup Matches.
This year’s matches will be contested at Moody Gardens Golf Course in Galveston, Texas. The course will host the matches for the first time and join a distinguished list of clubs like Champions Golf Club, Whispering Pines Golf Club, Brook Hollow Golf Club, Spanish Oaks Golf Club, Bent Tree Country Club, Escondido Golf and Lake Club, Traditions Club and Miramont Golf Club. Moody Gardens was designed by PGA Tour Professionals Peter Jacobsen and Jim Hardy and the par-72 course is tested with winds from the Gulf of Mexico and water surrounding each hole. Players will be tested to find the fairways and hit the greens with creativity while surviving the elements.
Players are selected to the Jackie Burke Cup teams based on their play on the Legends Junior Tour and through the Texas Junior Golf Alliance in 2018. Teams consist of eight players from the Boys 15-18 Division, two from the Boys 14 & Under Division and two from the Girls 12-18 Division. Players earned points through finishes at events this year on the Player of the Year Standings, which determines the teams each year.
There will be a banquet for players on Friday, Nov. 9, when pairings for Saturday morning will be announced along with the Player of the Year awards and the James A. Ragan Sportsman of the Year. Match scores will be kept on the Legends Junior Tour site and updated throughout each round. For more information on the Jackie Burke Cup Matches, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes