Garcia and Jones Lead Texas Girls' Invite after Round 1
Pearland, Texas – Julia Garcia and Hailey Jones are tied for the lead in the 10th annual Texas Girls’ Invitational after both players posted opening-round scores of even-par at Golfcrest Country Club.
Temple’s Garcia got off to a rough start with bogies on No. 2 and No. 3 but settled down with five straight pars and a birdie on the par-4 ninth. She made another bogey on the 13th, but bounced back with a birdie on No. 14 and finished with a birdie on the 356-yard 18th, the fourth
hardest hole in the first round.
Dallas’ Jones made a birdie on the par-5 third hole, but made bogey on the par-4 seventh and turned at even-par. She made a bogey on the par-5, 496-yard 10th hole but answered with a birdie on 11 and another on 13 to get to 1-under. A bogey on No. 18 dropped her back to even-par on the day and tied with Garcia heading into Sunday’s second round.
Maelynn Kim of Katy, Allyn Stephens of Houston and MacKenzie Moore of Trophy Club are tied for third heading into the second round at 1-over-par. Kim made two birdies in her first nine holes to turn at 2-under but dropped three strokes on the back side to fall back to 1-over. Stephens made three birdies on the day, including the par-5 first and the par-4 18th en route to her round of 1-over. Moore made a birdie on No. 3 and a bogey on the par-3 5th and the par-3 8th, but played her final 10 holes even-par.
Three players sit in a tie for sixth place at 2-over-par, including Frisco’s Caroline Kent, Austin’s Jensen Jalufka and Katy’s Elinz Sinz, while three players sit in a tie for ninth at 3-over-par, Sugar Land’s Natalie Cao, Mico’s Gabriela McNelly and Plano’s Olivia Mitchell.
League City’s Emma Luna sits in 12th place at 4-over, while Austin’s Mimi Burton, Plano’s Sydni Leung and Boerne’s Delaney Martin are tied for 13th at 5-over.
Golfcrest Country Club is hosting the Texas Girls’ Invitational for the first time in the tournament’s 10-year history. Golfcrest CC is located in Pearland, Texas, which is just south of Houston. The club was founded in 1927 and moved to its current location in 1971. The course is being stretched out to 6,061 yards for the Texas Girls’ Invitational and players are challenged with tight fairways and elevated greens.
High Meadow Ranch Golf Club was the host of the first Texas Girls’ Invitational in 2010, followed by Gleannloch Pines Golf Club in 2011. The tournament moved to Bentwater Yacht & Country Club in 2012 and remained there through 2016. Crown Colony Country Club hosted the event in 2017 and Sugar Creek Country Club hosted last year.
The Texas Girls’ Invitational moved to 54 holes in 2019. The championship was contested over 36 holes the previous nine years, but the LJT wanted to add a World Amateur Golf Ranking to the event as well as offer another 54-hole event on the schedule.
The second round of the Texas Girls’ Invitational will start at 8:00 am on Sunday, Feb. 17. Tee times were redrawn according to scores from the first round with the leaders teeing off last. To see all the pairings for the second round, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes