Lubbock's Boles Shoots 2-under and Leads Texas Cup Invitational
McKinney, Texas – Brian Boles made four birdies en route to a 2-under 69 in the opening round of the Texas Cup Invitational at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club’s Dye Course.
“I was hitting the ball very well today, especially my driver,” said Boles, following his round.
The Lubbock native started his day with a bogey on the par-4 first hole. He bounced back with a birdie on two and another on four before making his second bogey of the morning on the par-5 seventh. He finished his front side with two pars, to turn at even-par and then played steadily coming in.
He started his back nine with two pars and made birdie on the par-3 12th, which is a 180-yard hole with water in front of and to the right of the green. The Texas Tech University commit made par on the next three holes and then recorded another birdie on the par-5 16th and finished with two pars on 17 and 18.
“I had an eight-foot birdie putt on the 18th that I wish I could have back, but overall I putted well today, especially in the seven to eight foot range,” said Boles.
Trailing Boles by two strokes is Heath’s Matthew Watkins, who shot even-par 71 on Monday. Watkins started his day on the 10th hole and struggled with three bogeys in his first five holes. The 2019 LJT Winter Classic Boys 15-18 Division Champ bounced back though with birdies on holes No. 16, 2, 5 and 7 to get to 1-under on the day. He made a bogey on the par-4 ninth that dropped him back to even-par overall.
Granbury’s Jake Holbrook sits in third place at 1-over 73 after starting on No. 10 as well and playing behind Watkins’ group in the first round. The Oklahoma University commit made two birdies in his first round, including the 535-yard seventh.
Temple’s Dallas Hankamer and Keller’s Kaelen Dulany are tied for fourth at 2-over 73. Hankamer made three birdies on Monday, while Dulany made four.
Rohit Madireddi, Logan Vargas, Hayes Hamilton, Greg Seo, Dylan Arthur, Logan Hamak and Hunter Bott are all tied for sixth at 3-over, while Ben Delarosa, Niko Nebout, Jack Usner, Rohan Reddy Aerrabolu, Tucker Allen, Holden Hamilton and 2017 Texas Cup Invitational champion Brandon Massey are tied for 13th at 4-over.
Stonebridge Ranch Country Club is hosting the Texas Cup Invitational for the first time in the tournament’s 12-year history. The Dye Course is set up as a Par 71 this week and stretches out to 6,893 yards for the field. The course opened in 1988 and was designed by Pete Dye. The greens are MiniVerde UltraDwarf Bermuda and the fairways weave around fescue grass and numerous bunkers and penalty areas.
Stonebridge Ranch Country Club joins a list of host sites which includes Ridglea Country Club, Mira Vista Country Club and The Honors Club of Dallas.
The Texas Cup Invitational is a boys-only event and one of the top-ranked junior events in the state of Texas. The tournament added a third round to make it a 54-hole event in 2019 and will be ranked by the World Amateur Golf Ranking as well as Golfweek and Junior Golf Scoreboard. Past champions of this event include, Chandler Phillips, Braden Bailey, Stratton Nolen and Ryan Grider.
Tee times for the second round of the Texas Cup Invitational are set to begin at 8:30 am on Tuesday, March 12 with players going off in groups of three off the No. 1 and 10 tees throughout the morning.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes