Lubbock's Boles Shoots 2-under and Leads Texas Cup Invitational
McKinney, Texas – Brian Boles made four birdies en route to a 2-under 69 in the opening round of the Texas Cup Invitational at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club’s Dye Course.
“I was hitting the ball very well today, especially my driver,” said Boles, following his round.
The Lubbock native started his day with a bogey on the par-4 first hole. He bounced back with a birdie on two and another on four before making his second bogey of the morning on the par-5 seventh. He finished his front side with two pars, to turn at even-par and then played steadily coming in.
He started his back nine with two pars and made birdie on the par-3 12th, which is a 180-yard hole with water in front of and to the right of the green. The Texas Tech University commit made par on the next three holes and then recorded another birdie on the par-5 16th and finished with two pars on 17 and 18.
“I had an eight-foot birdie putt on the 18th that I wish I could have back, but overall I putted well today, especially in the seven to eight foot range,” said Boles.
Trailing Boles by two strokes is Heath’s Matthew Watkins, who shot even-par 71 on Monday. Watkins started his day on the 10th hole and struggled with three bogeys in his first five holes. The 2019 LJT Winter Classic Boys 15-18 Division Champ bounced back though with birdies on holes No. 16, 2, 5 and 7 to get to 1-under on the day. He made a bogey on the par-4 ninth that dropped him back to even-par overall.
Granbury’s Jake Holbrook sits in third place at 1-over 73 after starting on No. 10 as well and playing behind Watkins’ group in the first round. The Oklahoma University commit made two birdies in his first round, including the 535-yard seventh.
Temple’s Dallas Hankamer and Keller’s Kaelen Dulany are tied for fourth at 2-over 73. Hankamer made three birdies on Monday, while Dulany made four.
Rohit Madireddi, Logan Vargas, Hayes Hamilton, Greg Seo, Dylan Arthur, Logan Hamak and Hunter Bott are all tied for sixth at 3-over, while Ben Delarosa, Niko Nebout, Jack Usner, Rohan Reddy Aerrabolu, Tucker Allen, Holden Hamilton and 2017 Texas Cup Invitational champion Brandon Massey are tied for 13th at 4-over.
Stonebridge Ranch Country Club is hosting the Texas Cup Invitational for the first time in the tournament’s 12-year history. The Dye Course is set up as a Par 71 this week and stretches out to 6,893 yards for the field. The course opened in 1988 and was designed by Pete Dye. The greens are MiniVerde UltraDwarf Bermuda and the fairways weave around fescue grass and numerous bunkers and penalty areas.
Stonebridge Ranch Country Club joins a list of host sites which includes Ridglea Country Club, Mira Vista Country Club and The Honors Club of Dallas.
The Texas Cup Invitational is a boys-only event and one of the top-ranked junior events in the state of Texas. The tournament added a third round to make it a 54-hole event in 2019 and will be ranked by the World Amateur Golf Ranking as well as Golfweek and Junior Golf Scoreboard. Past champions of this event include, Chandler Phillips, Braden Bailey, Stratton Nolen and Ryan Grider.
Tee times for the second round of the Texas Cup Invitational are set to begin at 8:30 am on Tuesday, March 12 with players going off in groups of three off the No. 1 and 10 tees throughout the morning.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes