Cordell, Lach Win Champions Cup
HOUSTON – Matt Cordell may be member No. 203 at Champions Golf Club, but he and partner Bryant Lach were clearly number one Sunday as they rolled to an eight-shot victory in the 52th annual Champions Cup Invitational.
The Houston twosome certainly made the most of their home course advance on a sunny Sunday afternoon, for their second win here in the last three years in prestigious mid-amateur better ball event.
The pair took a five-shot lead going to the final day at par 71 Champions GC and while they saw their lead cut to three shots on the front nine, they never wavered and turned on the afterburners on the back nine par 35 layout had played hundreds of times.
“We weren’t really playing bad on the front nine, but we just needed a few putts to go in to get the momentum going,” Cordell said.
After finishing one-over par 37 on the par 36 front nine, Lach rolled in a short birdie putt on the par 4 10th hole at Champions and then Cordell stuck his approach to a foot on the long par 4 11th hole for another tap-in birdie and the rout was on.
Cordell capped the romp by knocking in a 35-foot birdie putt on No. 17 to win in style.
They shot rounds of 65-68-66 with a closing 68 for a 267 total, 17-under-par.
“Our wives just both had kids, so this may be the last meaningful golf we are going to play for a while,” Lach said, “so I told Matt, let’s get it going and that’s what we did.”
Lach, 31, played college golf at Texas A&M and LSU while Cordell, 35, attended Oklahoma State, but did not play golf there.
“To win at a tournament with Mr. Burke name on it and to see how he embraces amateur golf and how the club embraces it, it means a lot to win here again,” said Cordell.
“I guess I’ll stick with Bryant as my partner until he wants to make a change,” he added.
“Not a chance,” Lach countered.
There was a three-way for second place with the two-man teams of Ty Comerford and Dustin Sloat, Shane Heise and Justin Kaplan plus Bowen Osborn and Nick Ushijima. All three shot 9-under-par 275.
The team is Eric and Gary Durbin were alone in fifth place at 277, 8-under-par. They had the second lowest team score of 67 on Sunday.
The teams of B Baker and Matt Van Zandt plus Russell Chabaud and Scott McAlpine each shot final round low 66 Sunday on the historic course which will be the site of the 2020 U.S Women’s Open.
“With the number of good mid-amateurs we have there, there isn’t a lot of places for them to play so that’s what (Jimmy) Demaret and I wanted to do in founding the tournament,” said club founder and president Jack Burke, Jr. “As a result, we had 16 teams we couldn’t get in this year because of the great demand for a tournament like this.”
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes