Graham, Antonelli Lead Four-Ball Championship after Round 1
WICHITA FALLS – Braden Graham and Luke Antonelli shrugged off challenging conditions to combine for six birdies in the first round of the 2019 Texas Four-Ball Championship at Wichita Falls Country Club. The San Antonio duo’s 5-under-par 66 gave them a one-shot lead headed into Friday’s second round of the 54-hole major championship.
“Luke’s ball-striking was a key for us today,” Graham said. “He kept us in it when I was busy chunking chips and blading chips on the front nine. He probably hit every green. In fact, I think he hit 10 greens on the front nine because his tee shot on No. 6 hit the fifth green.”
After Antonelli carried the team early, Graham got it going with three birdies on the back nine. The two longtime friends and former college teammates at St. Mary’s University finished in third place at the 2018 Texas Four-Ball Championship.
On their heels at 4-under 67 are Ban Bintliff of Carrollton and his teammate Austin Motheral of Fort Worth and Carrollton’s Rick Sulzer and Danny Lovell of Dallas. Seven teams are tied for fourth place, three shots behind the leaders at 2-under 69. That group includes defending champions Jordan Woolf of Fort Worth and Keller’s Jace Moore.
The field of 48 two-man teams battled through brutal conditions on Thursday. After Wichita Falls CC took on about a half-inch of rain on Wednesday, temperatures for the first round of the Texas Four-Ball Championships hovered in the mid-50s. The biting, 20-mph north wind made it feel even colder.
“It was brutal, as tough as it could possibly play,” said Josh Irving, who, along with his partner Will Osborne, are one of the teams in the fourth-place logjam. “There really isn’t a birdie hole out there. You’re just trying to get in on the green or around the green and make a putt or hole a chip or something. It was as hard as any golf course I’ve played in a long time.”
The leaderboard also is crowded in the Senior Division for amateurs ages 55 and older. Three teams share the lead at 2-under 69. Ten-time TGA champion Mike Booker of Houston and his San Antonio partner Pat Youngs were first to post their 69. Craig Hall and John Pierce, another San Antonio-based team, as well as Fort Worth’s Hollis Sullivan and Lee Sandlin of Dallas also came in at 2-under par.
“For the most part we were both in every hole, pretty handy,” said Booker, the TGA Senior Player of the Year in 2012, ’14 and ’15. “People think it’s a bunch of birdies you make (in Four-Ball tournaments), but I think it’s really about keeping everyone in the hole at the same time.”
Tied for fourth place in the Senior Division at even-par 71 are the teams of Ken Coutant and Bill Jackson, and Mike Peck and Steve Love.
In the Super Senior division (65 and older), San Antonio’s Bob Hullender and Jim Martin of Dallas shot 2-over 73. They hold a one-shot lead over Ron Hubbard of Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne’s Ron Trevino.
Although it has took on substantial rain during the past several weeks, Wichita Falls CC dried out quickly and stood tall as a legitimate championship test on Thursday. The Championship Division played the par-71 course at 6,882 yards. The Seniors played it at 6,459 yards, and the Super Seniors teed it up from 6,157 yards.
One of the old school track’s main defenses is Holliday Creek, a wide stream that empties into the Wichita River, a tributary of the Red River. Holliday Creek cuts through six holes – Nos. 8-10 and 13-15 – and requires carries of up to 80 yards wide. The cross hazards, on top of the cold weather and wind, added the course’s challenges.
Head Professional Mark Greer said the bentgrass greens are as pure as they’ve been in his two-plus years at Wichita Falls CC. With an average size of about 5,000 square feet, the greens have tricky, subtle breaks and were rolling close to 12 inches on the Stimpmeter for Thursday’s opening round.
The club, which still sits on part of its original property, opened in 1914 as a homemade nine-hole course. Over the years, the classic parkland track grew to 18 holes and established itself as one of the best courses in the region. D.A. Weibring and Steve Wolford renovated Wichita Falls CC in 2008; they added length, modified target zones off the tee and improved the green complexes to modernize the traditional design.
Wichita Falls has a long, proud history of hosting TGA major championships, including three Texas Amateurs (1947, ’60, ’79), four Texas Senior Amateurs (1976, ’84, ’90, ’95) and two Texas Mid-Amateurs (1990, ’98).
The second round of the 2019 Texas Four-Ball Championship begins Friday at 8 a.m. For more information, including complete scoring, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes