Dossey, Lane and Borow Lead 20th Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS – Luke Dossey, Jacob Borow and Gaven Lane stayed focused on one thing around Lakewood Country Club: patience. Despite a steady rain throughout the round, they share a four-shot lead at the 20th Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship heading into Thursday’s final round.
Dossey, who won the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship in 2017, carded an even-par 71. He made birdies on holes one and three to begin his back nine of play and reach 6-under for the tournament. He carded a few bogeys coming in, but stayed focused throughout the tough conditions.
“Before every golf shot I just did a really good job of just breathing and calming myself down because I knew the whole day was going to be a mental grind,” Dossey said.
He showed the same mental toughness in 2017. Dossey battled down the stretch to shoot a 2-under 34 on his closing nine to win the championship by two strokes. That year, his brother was on the bag. This week, a good friend and former Vandegrift High School teammate, Luke Jasinski, is caddying for the 2020 Baylor University signee. The duo seems to resemble the same teamwork as the Dossey boys two years ago.
“The first year I won was with Cooper on the bag,” Dossey said. “This year I got my best friend on my bag and it’d be a really cool moment.”
Dossey tees it up Thursday with a chance to join three-time champion Jordan Spieth and two-time champion Ryan Baca as the only players to win multiple Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship titles.
Lane began Round 2 right where he left off on Tuesday. The 2023 Oklahoma State University commit birdied the par-3 12th and par-4 18th to go out in 2-under 34. He continued his run with birdies on the par-4 first and par-4 third. Lane quickly held a three-shot advantage at 7-under par.
The rain picked up as he played the par-3 fourth. Lane made bogey and followed it with two more bogeys coming home on the par-4 sixth and par-4 eighth.
“You know it’s tough it just kept on raining you just got to stay focused,” Lane said. “You got to play one shot at a time and just hope for the best.”
The 14-year-old high school freshman tied for second behind Pierceson Coody last year. He looks to stick to his game plan Thursday and give himself a chance down the stretch.
“I hope for better weather and to play the best I can,” Lane said.
Borow of Lake Jackson fired a 3-under-par 68 in Round 1. He followed it with a steady 1-under-par 70 Wednesday to join the leaders at 4-under. But his week didn’t look like the rest of the field. Borow was in Florida until late Monday night.
He was playing in the U.S. Open Sectional Qualifier at Streamsong Resort in Bowling Green, Florida. The 17-year-old carded rounds of 74-70 to finish at 2-under par. Although he failed to qualify for the U.S. Open, he and his dad caught a late-night flight to make his early morning tee time on Tuesday.
“Jacob told me ‘I want to go win this thing,’” said Borow’s father, Doug.
Randall Fojtasek of Dallas followed his opening round 67 with a 4-over-par 75. He sits alone in fourth at even par. Matthew Griggs of Prosper is alone in fifth and five shots back after a 2-under-par 69.
The field was cut following Round 2 to 38 players. They will tee it up in the final round starting Thursday at 8 a.m. For more information on the 20th Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes