Rulings, Itâs What We Talk About
Quite simply, a Referee is someone who has been named to decide questions of fact and apply the Rules. We are here to help the players with decisions based on facts and how the Rules of Golf are to be applied in certain scenarios. And those scenarios are what we converse about, no matter how complex or how plain sailing. A recent scenario took place at the Memorial Tournament, and it involved Matt Kuchar, the 2013 champion.
The Memorial, Jack Nicklaus’ tournament, is played at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio. The club’s name was inspired by Jack's first British Open victory in 1966 at Muirfield Golf Links in Scotland. His course was officially dedicated on Memorial Day, May 27, 1974, with an exhibition match between Jack and Tom Weiskopf. The first Memorial Tournament was played in May 1976, and was won by Roger Maltbie in a playoff over Hale Irwin. The Memorial continues to be one of the PGA Tour’s premier events of the season, and it’s not just because of the famous peanut butter milkshakes.
During the first round of this year’s Memorial, Matt Kuchar’s ball was involved in a scenario that stole five minutes of TV time, all in an effort to get relief for an embedded ball. A ball is embedded in the Rules of Golf when a player’s ball is in its own pitch-mark made as a result of the player’s previous stroke and where part of the ball is below the level of the ground. Kuchar’s drive on the 17th hole rolled forward into a pitch mark from earlier play. Based on facts provided by a spectator and a review of video evidence, the ball did not come to rest in its own pitch mark. However, Kuchar wanted clarification on another point, whether or not he was allowed relief if his ball made a “secondary pitch mark”.
“When I actually saw the video of it, maybe there's potential here that it broke new ground, and I called over the rules official, not sure exactly of the embedded-ball rule, as far as if a ball breaks new ground and in someone else's pitch mark, is that a new embedded ball.” Kuchar’s request for relief was denied by not one but two officials, under Rule 16.3. Based on the lie of the ball in the pitch mark, the spectator’s account and the video evidence, Kuchar’s ball was not embedded.
Salesmanship didn’t work for Kuchar, and he hit his approach into the first cut of rough over the green. Ending up in another player’s pitch mark is worse luck than ending up in another player’s divot, and definitely more rare. But don’t feel too bad, Kuch got up and down for par.
Now it’s your turn! We want to hear about scenarios that you have been involved with this season. In particular, how you have helped with the application of the Rules and how facts have helped you reach a decision. Your response may be lucky one that is handpicked to appear in a future edition of the Volunteer Newsletter. Please submit your responses here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes