Hanna Alberto Leads Women's Stroke Play
SAN ANTONIO – Hanna Alberto of Kingwood has been in this position before: atop the leaderboard at the Women’s Stroke Play Championship. The 2017 champion fired a 3-under-par 69 on Friday to hold a one-stroke lead at Briggs Ranch Golf Club.
Alberto began Round 1 with a bogey on the par-4 first hole. Unfazed by the rough start, the 53rd ranked amateur in the world birdied the par-4 fourth and par-4 sixth to go out in 1-under 35.
Alberto dropped another shot on the par-4 10th, but her round got going on the par-5 13th. The rising senior at Sam Houston State University reached the green in two and drained a 20-foot eagle putt to improve to 2-under. She capped off her impressive start to the Women’s Stroke Play Championship with a birdie on the par-4 18th.
“I bogeyed the 10th hole and so I was back to even,” Alberto said. “To eagle and be 2-under with five holes left I think it really helped.”
Alberto has plenty of memories from the Women’s Stroke Play Championship. She won in 2017 at Kingwood Country Club’s Island Course and followed it up last year with a runner-up finish at Magnolia Creek Golf Club. Coming off one of her best collegiate seasons, she is looking to become the first player to win multiple Women’s Stroke Play Championship titles.
“Last year, I lost in a playoff, and my coach is always bugging me about winning this tournament so it would mean a lot,” Alberto said.
During the 2018-2019 season, Alberto won three individual titles. She also played in the inaugural Augusta National Women’s Amateur, earned Southland Conference Women’s Golfer of the Year honors and helped lead the Bearkats to a Southland Conference Championship title.
Annika Clark is another recognizable name among the state’s best women amateur golfers. The 2019 Texas Christian University graduate carded a 2-under-par 70 in Round 1. She got off to a hot start with a bogey-free 3-under 33 on the front nine, but two bogeys on her closing loop left her one shot back.
The 94th Women’s Texas Amateur Champion plans to turn professional in August, but is hoping to use her experience to fuel one more amateur win before taking her talents to LPGA Tour Q-school.
“I mean you get into these tournaments and there is so many good girls playing and you know the pressure,” Clark said. “It’s good to have been in that position before and experience and kind of step back and take a deep breath.”
The low mid-amateur following Round 1 in the Championship Flight is Melissa Loh. The Dallas native carded a 1-under-par 71 and is tied for third. Chandler Rosholt of Cedar Park, Kenlie Barrett of The Woodlands, Jenna Phillips of Leander, Sydney Garber of Fate and Lauren Cox of Orange are all tied with Loh at 1-under par.
Claudia Ramirez of San Antonio leads the First Flight. She carded a 2-over-par 74 and holds a two-shot lead heading into Saturday’s second round.
The Tom Fazio Golf Course at Briggs Ranch Golf Club was built in 2001. The course features zoysia tee boxes, fairways and rough with bent grass greens. According to Golf Digest, Briggs Ranch Golf Club is the 19th best course in Texas. This is the club’s first time to host a TGA major championship, and Head Golf Professional Adam Devine says Briggs Ranch enjoys the opportunity to share its facility with some of the state’s best women amateur golfers.
“We are excited to have all the ladies here,” Devine said. “Having an event like this is a great way to grow the game, and we know the golf course will be a fair test and that the women will enjoy it.”
The 2019 Women’s Stroke Play Championship features a 78-player field. Sixty-five players are competing in the Championship Flight and 13 players in the First Flight. Round 2 will begin Saturday at 8:00 a.m.
For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes