Travis Woolf Remains Atop 91st West Texas Amateur
Travis Woolf Remains Atop 91st West Texas Amateur
Briefly: Travis Woolf of Fort Worth leads the 91st West Texas Amateur after a 1-over-par 73 in Round 2. He holds a one-shot lead at 2-under par overall. Chuck Palmer of Dallas carded a 1-under-par 71 and leads the Senior Division by one stroke, while Doug Hopton-Jones of Mansfield leads the Super Senior Division by one after rounds of 73-74.
1) Travis Woolf Fort Worth 69-73 | 142
T2) Andy Lopez Dallas 72-71 | 143
T2) Jackson Markham Dallas 70-73 | 143
4) Terence Begnel Midland 76-68 | 144
T5) Shayler Dance Dallas 72-73 | 145
T5) William Adams Odessa 73-72 | 145
T5) Bill Sharpe Tyler 73-72 | 145
T8) Jake Leatherwood Snyder 73-73 | 146
T8) Grant Bills Plano 77-69 | 146
Golf Course: Founded in 1927, Midland Country Club opened as a nine-hole course with sand greens. From these modest beginnings, Midland Country Club has evolved into one of the premier private clubs in West Texas. At its center is a classic parkland course that was originally designed in 1951 by Texas Golf Hall of Famer Ralph Plummer. In the fall of 2015, the club hired Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design to oversee a major renovation of the golf course and practice facility. The project finished in 2017 and includes a modernized 7,354-yard, par-72 championship course to better test the skills of today’s players. Round 2 was contested at 7,192 yards.
Weather: The temperature reached 103 degrees with steady winds at 15 mph out of the south.
In Contention: Travis Woolf of Fort Worth followed his bogey-free 69 in Round 1 with a 1-over-par 73 on Saturday. The 31-year-old mid-amateur went out in 2-over-par 38, but rallied on the back nine. Woolf eagled the par-5 12th to regain the lead and holds one shot advantage heading into the final round.
“The eagle kind of got me back on track,” Woolf said. “I was able to get into the clubhouse with a decent number today. Just didn’t have my putter rolling very well but kind of hung in there and we’ll see what happens tomorrow.”
Andy Lopez of Dallas fired a 1-under-par 71 and is tied second at 1-under overall. The rising junior at Texas Tech University carded eagles on both the par-5 fourth and par-5 12th. Jackson Markham of Dallas remains one shot back after a 1-over-par 73. The Southern Methodist University senior stayed patient after an opening double-bogey. He carded a 2-under-par 34 on the back nine to get within one shot of the lead. Terence Begnel of Midland fired a 4-under-par 68 and the low round of the championship in Round 2. The 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur Champion used his local knowledge to play his way back into contention and just two shots behind the lead. Three players in the Championship Division are tied fifth at 1-over par.
What’s Next: Final Round tee times start Sunday morning at 7:30 a.m. off No. 1 & 10 tees at Midland Country Club.
More Info: For more information on the 91st West Texas Amateur, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes