Jackson Markham Wins 91st West Texas Amateur
Jackson Markham Wins 91st West Texas Amateur
Briefly: Jackson Markham of Dallas wins the 91st West Texas Amateur after a final round 2-under-par 70 at Midland Country Club. The rising senior at Southern Methodist University finished at 3-under overall and one stroke better than the field. Chuck Palmer of Dallas won the Senior Division in a sudden-death playoff on the par-4 10th, while Doug Hopton-Jones of Mansfield won the Super Senior Division by two after rounds of 73-74-72.
1) Jackson Markham Dallas 70-73-70 | 213
2) Travis Woolf Forth Worth 69-73-72 | 214
T3) Rick Houston Midland 72-77-69 | 218
T3) Will Adams Odessa 73-72-73 | 218
T3) Neil Dufford Midland 76-72-70 | 218
T6) Andy Lopez Dallas 72-71-76 | 219
T6) Brian Scherer Midland 77-70-72 | 219
8) Marcus Jones Argyle 75-72-73 | 219
Golf Course: Founded in 1927, Midland Country Club opened as a nine-hole course with sand greens. From these modest beginnings, Midland Country Club has evolved into one of the premier private clubs in West Texas. At its center is a classic parkland course that was originally designed in 1951 by Texas Golf Hall of Famer Ralph Plummer. In the fall of 2015, the club hired Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design to oversee a major renovation of the golf course and practice facility. The project finished in 2017 and includes a modernized 7,354-yard, par-72 championship course to better test the skills of today’s players. Round 3 was contested at 7,219 yards.
Weather: The temperature reached 101 degrees with steady winds at 16 mph out of the south.
Winner’s Info: Jackson Markham fired a 2-under-par 70 in the final round to post 3-under for the championship and win by one stroke. The rising senior at Southern Methodist University quickly took the solo-lead after three consecutive birdies on the par-3 third, par-5 fourth and par-4 sixth. He went out in 3-under 33, and held a one-shot advantage with nine holes to play. Markham, playing in his first West Texas Amateur, remained steady on the back nine. He battled with playing competitor and 36-hole leader, Travis Woolf, throughout the final round. Following a disappointing double bogey on the par-4 17th, Markham and Woolf were tied heading into the final hole. Woolf found the native grass left of the green on his approach shot and made bogey. Markham seized the moment and made a routine par to win the 91st West Texas Amateur.
“I just kind of mostly tried to put all the focus on myself,” Markham said. “To know that my name will be on a trophy that’s going to long out-live me is pretty humbling, and I’m just honored.”
Chuck Palmer won the Senior Division after three straight rounds in red figures. The 2015 West Texas Amateur Senior Champion finished the 54-hole championship at 4-under par and tied with Ed Brooks of Fort Worth. Palmer and Brooks played the par-4 tenth in a sudden-death playoff. Palmer stuffed his approach shot and tapped in his birdie to solidify the victory.
Doug Hopton-Jones won the Super-Senior Division by two strokes and at 3-over-par 219 overall. He adds this win to his 2002 West Texas Amateur title.
In Contention: Travis Woolf posted 2-under-par 214 for the championship and finished second. Rick Houston of Fort Worth, Will Adams of Odessa and Neil Dufford of Midland finished at 2-over-par 218 and tied third. Andy Lopez of Dallas and Brian Scherer of Midland tied sixth at 3-over-par 219 overall.
What’s Next: The 2019 season continues with the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play at Shadow Hawk Golf Club in Houston July 25-28. You can view the entire Texas Golf Association calendar here.
More Info: The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Midland Country Club as well as our volunteers for their integral part in making the 91st West Texas Amateur a memorable and successful event. For more information on the West Texas Amateur, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes