Campbell, Nguyen/Vivier Lead Texas Junior Amateur
KINGWOOD — Stephen Campbell Jr. of Richmond leads the Boys Division of the Texas Junior Amateur at 5-under par 67. Lauren Nguyen of Katy and Nicole Vivier of Austin sit atop a crowded leaderboard after opening rounds of 1-over par 73.
Lewisville’s Nathan Bardwell is leading the Boys 14 & Under Division by two strokes at 3-under. Rylie Cerny of Kingwood is leading the Girls 14 & Under Division by one stroke at 5-over par.
A calm mind and a light putter grip pressure is what Stephen Campbell Jr. of Richmond accredits his bogey-free, 5-under opening round to. He said he never got too high or too low, which led him to the top of the leaderboard after round one of the Texas Junior Amateur.
“One thing I think I did really well today was I kept the ball in play and played smart, which is important out here,” said Campbell. “I felt really good on the greens, and I think that led to my good round.”
Campbell’s 5-under 67 put him one shot ahead of Zach Heffernan of Fair Oaks Ranch who also had a bogey-free opening round. He played consistently with two birdies on both his front and back nines.
Frisco’s Henry Frizzell had four birdies and an eagle which placed him in third, only two strokes back of the leader at 3-under.
There are eight players tied for fourth at 1-under par.
In the Girls Division, Nguyen started out hot with a birdie on her first hole and played steady to finish at 1-over. Vivier had three bogeys on her opening nine, but finished strong by shooting 2-under on her finishing nine.
Houston’s Christine Wang and Plano’s Olivia Mitchell are only one shot back of the leaders at 2-over. Kendall Jackson of Pearland is in fifth place after a 3-over opening round.
Four players are tied for sixth place at 4-over, only three shots back of the leaders.
For the Boys and the Girls Divisions, the Texas Junior Amateur consists of 54-holes including a cut after 36 holes.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Bardwell started out 1-over on his opening nine, but finished strong with four birdies on his back nine to lead the division. Daniel Zou of The Woodlands is two shots back of Bardwell at 1-under. Six players are tied for third at 2-over par.
In the Girls 14 & Under Division, Cerny started out with a birdie on the first hole, but closed with a double-bogey on the Island Course’s signature hole, the difficult par-5 18th. Katy’s Maye Huang and Austin’s Sydney Givens are both one stroke back of Cerny at 6-over par.
The Texas Junior Amateur for the Boys and Girls 14 & Under Divisions consists of 36-holes. A champion will be awarded after Tuesday’s rounds.
This is the first year Kingwood Country Club has hosted the Texas Junior Amateur. The Boys Division is playing the Forrest Course, while the rest of the divisions are playing the Island Course.
The second round of the Texas Junior Amateur begins Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes