Chang, Yen and Mierl Lead George Hannon Junior Invitational
Briefly: Hanseung Chang of Cedar Park leads the Boys 15-18 Division at the George Hannon Junior Invitational presented by Texas Mutual following a 2-under-par 69 in Round 1 at The University of Texas Golf Club. Ashley Yen of Houston cards an opening round 1-under-par 70 and leads the Girls 12-18 Division, while Austin’s Trenton Mierl fires a bogey-free 5-under-par 66 to lead the Boys 14 & Under Division.
1) Hanseung Chang Cedar Park 69
T2) Jack Wehman Austin 70
T2) Jacob Sosa Austin 70
1) Ashley Yen Houston 70
T2) Gabbi Bentancourt Frisco 71
T2) Bentley Cotton Austin 71
T2) Kaylee Vesely Austin 71
Boys 14 & Under
1) Trenton Mierl Austin 66
T2) Kevin Mu Austin 75
T2) Jonathan Kim Round Rock 75
Golf Course: The University of Texas Golf Club was built in 2003 and designed by Becholt Russell Golf Course Design. The par-71 championship golf course stretches across the Texas Hill Country and overlooks Lake Austin. The 7,412-yard layout offers challenging shots and some of the best views in Austin. It is the home of the University of Texas Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams and has played host to the George Hannon Junior Invitational presented by Texas Mutual four times. Round 1 was contested at 6,912 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division; 5,812 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division and 6,301 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Weather: The temperature reached 104 degrees with steady winds at around 10 mph.
In Contention: Hanseung Chang of Cedar Park carded an opening round 2-under-par 69. The senior at Cedar Park High School made the turn at even par. He birdied the par-3 eighth and par-5 ninth to close out his round and lead the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke. Chang looks to win his first Legends Junior Tour title tomorrow at UT Golf Club.
“It’s my last Legends (tournament),” Chang said. “I really hope to win one and finish the year off strong.”
Jack Wehman and Jacob Sosa of Austin are tied second after rounds of 1-under-par 71. Andrew Spaulding of Spring, Daniel Moon of Temple and Frisco’s Henry Frizzell are all tied fourth at even par.
Ashley Yen of Houston birdied her closing two holes to fire a 1-under-par 71. She leads the Girls 12-18 Division by one stroke. Yen finished in the top-10 at the Texas Girls’ Invitational back in February and looks to claim her first LJT title as well.
Austin local and 2020 University of Texas commit Bentley Cotton is tied second with Frisco’s Gabbi Bentancourt and Austin’s Kaylee Vesley at even par. Chelsea Romas of Coppell, Emma McMyler of San Antonio, Lauren Nguyen of Katy and Meagan Winans of Richardson are just two shots off the lead and tied fifth at 1-over par.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Trenton Mierl of Austin stole the show. The 13-year-old eighth grader fired a bogey-free 5-under-par 66. He leads his division by nine strokes and says he tried to simply stay patient throughout Round 1.
“I was just trying to keep my mind focused and play through each hole one shot at a time,” Mierl said. “I just tried to stay calm and not get overwhelmed.”
Jonathan Kim of Round Rock and Kevin Mu of Austin are tied second at 4-over par. Andrew Petruzelli of Dallas, Bowen Ballias of Shenandoah and Frisco’s Davis Ovard are tied sixth after rounds of 6-over 77.
What’s Next: Final Round tee times start Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m. off No. 1 & 10 tees at UT Golf Club.
More Info: For more information on the George Hannon Junior Invitational presented by Texas Mutual, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes