Bobby "The Pilot" Grabstald
Texas Golf Association Volunteer Spotlight: August
Ten years ago, Bobby Grabstald of Houston was on a golf vacation in South Carolina, playing in the 2009 DuPont World Amateur Handicap Championship in Myrtle Beach. About halfway through the first round, Grabstald turned to one of the members in the foursome and asked about the process of getting involved in golf officiating. Woody Stiltner was certainly the right man to turn to for advice.
Stiltner, who had been a long-time golf rules official along the East Coast, suggested the best way to get started was for Grabstald to get involved with his state golf association. When the Texas native got back home from his trip, one of the first things he did was contact the Texas Golf Association. Several weeks after an initial phone call, Grabstald started his career as a TGA Volunteer at a TGA Qualifier at BlackHorse Golf Club in Cypress.
“I had always been interested in the Rules of Golf,” Grabstald said. “I followed Nick Bramlett (TGA Volunteer since 2007) and Woody Fail (TGA Volunteer since 2002) around BlackHorse that day and it was a learning experience.”
A decade after his first outing at BlackHorse, Grabstald is still on the move, lending a hand wherever he can. He officiates nearly 75 days a year across TGA, USGA, NCAA and PGA tournament schedules. He has served on the USGA Rules Committee since 2014 and most recently officiated the 2019 South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf from August 9-11 at Sterling Country Club in Houston.
His influence on the TGA has been felt since his first qualifier in 2009, but Grabstald’s career prior to becoming a TGA Volunteer is nothing short of incredible.
Growing up, Grabstald was fascinated with airplanes and dreamed of one day becoming a pilot. In 1962, after earning a degree from Southern Methodist University, Grabstald enlisted in the United States Air Force. Two years later, his boyhood dreams were realized when he graduated from pilot school.
“I became a B-52 aircraft commander and flew out of three bases in Vietnam,” Grabstald said.
In 1968, Grabstald decided to get out of the military. He became a pilot for Braniff International Airways and worked with them until the company ceased operation in 1982. However, due to cutbacks in 1970, he fell victim to the company’s short-term layoffs. Not being behind the stick wouldn’t do, so during his layoff Grabstald worked for a private jet charter company in Los Angeles called Jet Fleet Corporation.
“I was transferred out to L.A.,” Grabstald said. “During my time with Jet Fleet I flew a bunch of celebrities.”
Among those A-listers were Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Dean Martin, Bob Hope and future president Ronald Reagan, just to name a few.
“Reagan was the Governor of California at the time,” Grabstald said. “He was super to fly for and just the nicest guy.”
Grabstald’s tenure with Jet Fleet also included flying some of the era’s most famous rock groups as they toured around the country. Led Zeppelin, Three Dog Night and James Taylor were frequent passengers.
When Braniff recalled Grabstald in 1973, he returned to Dallas and finished his career with the airline.
Grabstald wasn’t just any ol’ pilot, though, he was “the pilot” for some of America’s most iconic figures. He heard stories and spent time with some of the most well-known musicians, actors and politicians of all-time. Grabstald said he is grateful for his experiences and values the lessons learned from his devoted career flying planes.
“In all my experience between sports and flying I realized it’s all about camaraderie and the people you work with,” Grabstald said. “When I volunteer with the TGA it’s not about me. I really like being a part of the teamwork.”
The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to Bobby for his efforts in making our championships a success. The work and dedication from all of our volunteers allows the TGA to grow and continue to support the game we all love.
To volunteer for the Texas Mid-Amateur, Texas Senior Amateur, Women’s Senior Stroke Play and/or any other upcoming TGA tournaments, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes