Bobby "The Pilot" Grabstald
Texas Golf Association Volunteer Spotlight: August
Ten years ago, Bobby Grabstald of Houston was on a golf vacation in South Carolina, playing in the 2009 DuPont World Amateur Handicap Championship in Myrtle Beach. About halfway through the first round, Grabstald turned to one of the members in the foursome and asked about the process of getting involved in golf officiating. Woody Stiltner was certainly the right man to turn to for advice.
Stiltner, who had been a long-time golf rules official along the East Coast, suggested the best way to get started was for Grabstald to get involved with his state golf association. When the Texas native got back home from his trip, one of the first things he did was contact the Texas Golf Association. Several weeks after an initial phone call, Grabstald started his career as a TGA Volunteer at a TGA Qualifier at BlackHorse Golf Club in Cypress.
“I had always been interested in the Rules of Golf,” Grabstald said. “I followed Nick Bramlett (TGA Volunteer since 2007) and Woody Fail (TGA Volunteer since 2002) around BlackHorse that day and it was a learning experience.”
A decade after his first outing at BlackHorse, Grabstald is still on the move, lending a hand wherever he can. He officiates nearly 75 days a year across TGA, USGA, NCAA and PGA tournament schedules. He has served on the USGA Rules Committee since 2014 and most recently officiated the 2019 South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf from August 9-11 at Sterling Country Club in Houston.
His influence on the TGA has been felt since his first qualifier in 2009, but Grabstald’s career prior to becoming a TGA Volunteer is nothing short of incredible.
Growing up, Grabstald was fascinated with airplanes and dreamed of one day becoming a pilot. In 1962, after earning a degree from Southern Methodist University, Grabstald enlisted in the United States Air Force. Two years later, his boyhood dreams were realized when he graduated from pilot school.
“I became a B-52 aircraft commander and flew out of three bases in Vietnam,” Grabstald said.
In 1968, Grabstald decided to get out of the military. He became a pilot for Braniff International Airways and worked with them until the company ceased operation in 1982. However, due to cutbacks in 1970, he fell victim to the company’s short-term layoffs. Not being behind the stick wouldn’t do, so during his layoff Grabstald worked for a private jet charter company in Los Angeles called Jet Fleet Corporation.
“I was transferred out to L.A.,” Grabstald said. “During my time with Jet Fleet I flew a bunch of celebrities.”
Among those A-listers were Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Dean Martin, Bob Hope and future president Ronald Reagan, just to name a few.
“Reagan was the Governor of California at the time,” Grabstald said. “He was super to fly for and just the nicest guy.”
Grabstald’s tenure with Jet Fleet also included flying some of the era’s most famous rock groups as they toured around the country. Led Zeppelin, Three Dog Night and James Taylor were frequent passengers.
When Braniff recalled Grabstald in 1973, he returned to Dallas and finished his career with the airline.
Grabstald wasn’t just any ol’ pilot, though, he was “the pilot” for some of America’s most iconic figures. He heard stories and spent time with some of the most well-known musicians, actors and politicians of all-time. Grabstald said he is grateful for his experiences and values the lessons learned from his devoted career flying planes.
“In all my experience between sports and flying I realized it’s all about camaraderie and the people you work with,” Grabstald said. “When I volunteer with the TGA it’s not about me. I really like being a part of the teamwork.”
The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to Bobby for his efforts in making our championships a success. The work and dedication from all of our volunteers allows the TGA to grow and continue to support the game we all love.
To volunteer for the Texas Mid-Amateur, Texas Senior Amateur, Women’s Senior Stroke Play and/or any other upcoming TGA tournaments, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes