Texas Mid-Amateur Set for Sept. 13-15
DALLAS – Maridoe Golf Club in Carrollton will host the 36th playing of the Texas Mid-Amateur from Sept. 13-15.
From the earliest planning stages, Maridoe was envisaged as an ideal ‘players’ course’ complete with world-class facilities, including a sprawling two-ended driving range, a three-acre short game area and indoor facilities with state-of-the-art hitting bays.
After two years of meticulous work, the Steve Smyers-designed course opened for play in the summer of 2017 on a verdant 214-acre property that was the former site of The Honors Club of Dallas and before that Columbian Club. Recognized in 2018 by Golf Digest as one of the best new courses in the country, Maridoe is a masterpiece in challenge, aesthetics and experience. The course has five sets of tees and measures 7,834 yards from the tips with a rating of 80.5 and a slope of 155. The next set of tees is 7,311 yards with a rating of 76.7 and a slope of 150.
Maridoe already has a well-earned reputation as a comprehensive test of skill for elite amateur players. In its short existence, the club has hosted two previous TGA championships, the 2017 Texas Shootout and 2018 Texas Four-Ball, this year’s 116th Trans-Mississippi Amateur and the annual Maridoe Collegiate Invitational. Maridoe is also slated to host the 2020 Southern Amateur Championship.
The Texas Mid-Amateur is open to male amateurs with a GHIN Handicap Index of 8.4 or less, have reached the age of 25 by Sept. 13 and are current Texas residents.
The TGA accepted 450 entries for this year’s championship at Maridoe, with 32 players fully exempt from qualifying based on past performance. To determine the remaining 100 spots in the 132-player starting field, 18-hole qualifiers were held at 13 sites across the state from July 15 – Sept. 4.
The tournament format is 54 holes of individual stoke play. All contestants will play 18 holes Sept. 13-14. After 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 54 players and ties heading into the final round. In addition to the overall champion, an award will be given to the low Mid-Master (40-plus years of age).
At the 2018 championship hosted by River Oaks Country Club in Houston, Colby Harwell of San Antonio became the first person in more than 20 years to successfully defend the Mid-Amateur title. The last person to accomplish the feat was John Grace of Fort Worth who won four-in-a-row from 1991-94.
Harwell has cut an impressive path in the age 25-plus division in recent years. In addition to his back-to-back Texas Mid-Amateur victories, Harwell has also won the 2017 and 2019 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship.
Though Harwell is undoubtedly riding high, there will be plenty of other decorated mid-ams on hand determined to make their own history, including three past champions looking to etch their names on the trophy for a second time. They are Josh Irving of Dallas (who won in 2016) Clay Hodge of Bryan (2013) and Rob Couture of Dallas (2008).
Several Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play champions will also gather at Maridoe in search of another TGA statewide title. They are Anthony Estorga of Dallas (who won in 2018), Zach Atkinson of Colleyville (2016) and Jess Bonneau of Houston (2011). Bonneau finished runner-up in last year’s Texas Mid-Amateur at River Oaks and earned special recognition as low Mid-Master.
The exceptionally strong field this year also includes Christopher Wheeler of Addison and Jacob Davis of Cibolo, the respective 2018 North and South Regional Players of the Year, and Lewis Stephenson of Mansfield, the 2018 Senior Player of the Year.
Admission to the 36th Texas Mid-Amateur is free and spectators are encouraged to attend.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available at txga.org once the action gets underway from Maridoe. To learn more about this year’s championship please contact the Texas Golf Association main office at (214) 468-8942.
ABOUT THE TGA: Founded in 1906 as the governing body of amateur golf in Texas, the TGA is an official representative of the United States Golf Association and the only licensed distributor of USGA GHIN Handicaps. We serve all golfers across Texas with elite competitive championships and recreational playing opportunities for men, women, seniors and juniors. The TGA is represented by hundreds of public and private facility Member Clubs throughout the state. It is our honor and responsibility to promote, protect and grow the game of golf on all levels. To learn more, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes