Texas Mid-Amateur Set for Sept. 13-15
DALLAS – Maridoe Golf Club in Carrollton will host the 36th playing of the Texas Mid-Amateur from Sept. 13-15.
From the earliest planning stages, Maridoe was envisaged as an ideal ‘players’ course’ complete with world-class facilities, including a sprawling two-ended driving range, a three-acre short game area and indoor facilities with state-of-the-art hitting bays.
After two years of meticulous work, the Steve Smyers-designed course opened for play in the summer of 2017 on a verdant 214-acre property that was the former site of The Honors Club of Dallas and before that Columbian Club. Recognized in 2018 by Golf Digest as one of the best new courses in the country, Maridoe is a masterpiece in challenge, aesthetics and experience. The course has five sets of tees and measures 7,834 yards from the tips with a rating of 80.5 and a slope of 155. The next set of tees is 7,311 yards with a rating of 76.7 and a slope of 150.
Maridoe already has a well-earned reputation as a comprehensive test of skill for elite amateur players. In its short existence, the club has hosted two previous TGA championships, the 2017 Texas Shootout and 2018 Texas Four-Ball, this year’s 116th Trans-Mississippi Amateur and the annual Maridoe Collegiate Invitational. Maridoe is also slated to host the 2020 Southern Amateur Championship.
The Texas Mid-Amateur is open to male amateurs with a GHIN Handicap Index of 8.4 or less, have reached the age of 25 by Sept. 13 and are current Texas residents.
The TGA accepted 450 entries for this year’s championship at Maridoe, with 32 players fully exempt from qualifying based on past performance. To determine the remaining 100 spots in the 132-player starting field, 18-hole qualifiers were held at 13 sites across the state from July 15 – Sept. 4.
The tournament format is 54 holes of individual stoke play. All contestants will play 18 holes Sept. 13-14. After 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 54 players and ties heading into the final round. In addition to the overall champion, an award will be given to the low Mid-Master (40-plus years of age).
At the 2018 championship hosted by River Oaks Country Club in Houston, Colby Harwell of San Antonio became the first person in more than 20 years to successfully defend the Mid-Amateur title. The last person to accomplish the feat was John Grace of Fort Worth who won four-in-a-row from 1991-94.
Harwell has cut an impressive path in the age 25-plus division in recent years. In addition to his back-to-back Texas Mid-Amateur victories, Harwell has also won the 2017 and 2019 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship.
Though Harwell is undoubtedly riding high, there will be plenty of other decorated mid-ams on hand determined to make their own history, including three past champions looking to etch their names on the trophy for a second time. They are Josh Irving of Dallas (who won in 2016) Clay Hodge of Bryan (2013) and Rob Couture of Dallas (2008).
Several Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play champions will also gather at Maridoe in search of another TGA statewide title. They are Anthony Estorga of Dallas (who won in 2018), Zach Atkinson of Colleyville (2016) and Jess Bonneau of Houston (2011). Bonneau finished runner-up in last year’s Texas Mid-Amateur at River Oaks and earned special recognition as low Mid-Master.
The exceptionally strong field this year also includes Christopher Wheeler of Addison and Jacob Davis of Cibolo, the respective 2018 North and South Regional Players of the Year, and Lewis Stephenson of Mansfield, the 2018 Senior Player of the Year.
Admission to the 36th Texas Mid-Amateur is free and spectators are encouraged to attend.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available at txga.org once the action gets underway from Maridoe. To learn more about this year’s championship please contact the Texas Golf Association main office at (214) 468-8942.
ABOUT THE TGA: Founded in 1906 as the governing body of amateur golf in Texas, the TGA is an official representative of the United States Golf Association and the only licensed distributor of USGA GHIN Handicaps. We serve all golfers across Texas with elite competitive championships and recreational playing opportunities for men, women, seniors and juniors. The TGA is represented by hundreds of public and private facility Member Clubs throughout the state. It is our honor and responsibility to promote, protect and grow the game of golf on all levels. To learn more, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes