Gary Durbin Wins Texas Senior Amateur
KINGWOOD – Gary Durbin of Houston won the 82nd Texas Senior Amateur on Sunday after he started the Final Round six strokes behind the 36-hole leader. The 2012 Greater Houston Men’s Senior Amateur Champion adds his first TGA Major Championship to his decorated amateur career after rounds of 73-71-73 for 1-over-par 217 to win by two strokes at Deerwood Club.
“With all the great golfers who play in Texas, it’s truly an honor,” Durbin said. “I take great pride playing in the Texas Golf Association tournaments, and of course winning the tournament is kind of unbelievable.”
Durbin arrived to Deerwood early Sunday morning. Due to suspension of play late Saturday evening, he had six holes left to play in Round 2. Durbin was 1-under on the round and even par for the championship when play resumed on the par-3 fourth. He made four straight pars out of the gates followed by a birdie on the par-3 eighth. He closed out his second round with a bogey on the par-4 ninth to card a 1-under 71.
The former Penn State University standout was even-par and six strokes behind John Dowdall of Fulshear to begin Sunday afternoon’s Final Round.
Dowdall, the 36-hole leader, had shown no signs of weakness after rounds of 67-71. However, the former PGA Tour professional started his final round with a bogey on the par-4 first and never regained his confidence.
Dowdall carded five bogeys, a double-bogey on the par-5 10th and a quadruple-bogey on the par-4 13th en route to an 11-over 83. His playing competitor, Craig Hurlbert of Magnolia, started Sunday’s Final Round just three shots off the lead at 3-under par. He also struggled to find his rhythm from his first 36 holes and carded a 7-over 79.
As the leaders let more of the field back into the championship, Durbin remained steady. He carded seven straight pars to begin his round followed by a birdie on the par-3 eighth. His bogey-free 35 on the front nine left him within two shots off the lead with nine holes to play.
“I never looked at the leaderboard,” Durbin said. “I just tried to stay focus and play my best on every hole.”
Durbin showed patience as the field continued to struggle. Despite consecutive bogeys on the par-4 13th and par-4 14th, his closing 1-over 73 was enough to clinch the championship.
“We just had to stay patient,” Durbin said. “I’m shocked and almost at a loss for words.”
Kip Estep of Rockwall and John Pierce of San Antonio finished in a tie for second at 3-over 219 for the championship. Hurlbert and Mike Lohner of Southlake rounded out the top-5 at 4-over 220.
Deerwood Club played host to its fifth TGA Major Championship. This year, the club joined an exclusive list of clubs in Texas to have hosted all four TGA Men’s Major Championships. Deerwood played host to the 1986 and 1999 Texas Amateurs, 1989 Texas Mid-Amateur, 2014 Texas Four-Ball and rounds out the distinction with the 2019 Texas Senior Amateur.
The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Deerwood Club as well as our volunteers for their integral part in making the 82nd Texas Senior Amateur a memorable and success event.
For more information on the Texas Senior Amateur, click here. For Full Leaderboard, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes