Gary Durbin Wins Texas Senior Amateur
KINGWOOD – Gary Durbin of Houston won the 82nd Texas Senior Amateur on Sunday after he started the Final Round six strokes behind the 36-hole leader. The 2012 Greater Houston Men’s Senior Amateur Champion adds his first TGA Major Championship to his decorated amateur career after rounds of 73-71-73 for 1-over-par 217 to win by two strokes at Deerwood Club.
“With all the great golfers who play in Texas, it’s truly an honor,” Durbin said. “I take great pride playing in the Texas Golf Association tournaments, and of course winning the tournament is kind of unbelievable.”
Durbin arrived to Deerwood early Sunday morning. Due to suspension of play late Saturday evening, he had six holes left to play in Round 2. Durbin was 1-under on the round and even par for the championship when play resumed on the par-3 fourth. He made four straight pars out of the gates followed by a birdie on the par-3 eighth. He closed out his second round with a bogey on the par-4 ninth to card a 1-under 71.
The former Penn State University standout was even-par and six strokes behind John Dowdall of Fulshear to begin Sunday afternoon’s Final Round.
Dowdall, the 36-hole leader, had shown no signs of weakness after rounds of 67-71. However, the former PGA Tour professional started his final round with a bogey on the par-4 first and never regained his confidence.
Dowdall carded five bogeys, a double-bogey on the par-5 10th and a quadruple-bogey on the par-4 13th en route to an 11-over 83. His playing competitor, Craig Hurlbert of Magnolia, started Sunday’s Final Round just three shots off the lead at 3-under par. He also struggled to find his rhythm from his first 36 holes and carded a 7-over 79.
As the leaders let more of the field back into the championship, Durbin remained steady. He carded seven straight pars to begin his round followed by a birdie on the par-3 eighth. His bogey-free 35 on the front nine left him within two shots off the lead with nine holes to play.
“I never looked at the leaderboard,” Durbin said. “I just tried to stay focus and play my best on every hole.”
Durbin showed patience as the field continued to struggle. Despite consecutive bogeys on the par-4 13th and par-4 14th, his closing 1-over 73 was enough to clinch the championship.
“We just had to stay patient,” Durbin said. “I’m shocked and almost at a loss for words.”
Kip Estep of Rockwall and John Pierce of San Antonio finished in a tie for second at 3-over 219 for the championship. Hurlbert and Mike Lohner of Southlake rounded out the top-5 at 4-over 220.
Deerwood Club played host to its fifth TGA Major Championship. This year, the club joined an exclusive list of clubs in Texas to have hosted all four TGA Men’s Major Championships. Deerwood played host to the 1986 and 1999 Texas Amateurs, 1989 Texas Mid-Amateur, 2014 Texas Four-Ball and rounds out the distinction with the 2019 Texas Senior Amateur.
The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Deerwood Club as well as our volunteers for their integral part in making the 82nd Texas Senior Amateur a memorable and success event.
For more information on the Texas Senior Amateur, click here. For Full Leaderboard, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes