October Volunteer Spotlight – Chuck Flowers
In 2004, Chuck Flowers was forced to make a life change. The then 58-year-old had been diagnosed with neuropathy and was forced to retire as the Director of Youth Evangelism for Texas Baptists.
“I was almost to the point where I was in a wheelchair,” Flowers said. “I had to take a disability retirement. I just could not function with the travel and, of course, it broke my heart.”
Flowers served in student ministry for over five decades. It was his calling, and walking away after so many years was difficult. He battled severe disability for nearly five years, but in 2009 Flowers’ renewed love for the game of golf inspired him to regain his health. Within 14 months, he lost nearly 70 pounds, regained his strength and began to pursue his other passion: giving back to the game.
Flowers first started volunteering at the 2010 Volunteers of America LPGA Texas Classic at Las Colinas Country Club in Irving, and eventually was named Volunteer Chairman. During his time working with the LPGA Tour, Flowers developed an interest in rules officiating. When the Tour announced the tournament was moving to Old American Golf Club in The Colony, Flowers opted not to follow. He wanted to learn more about rules officiating.
In Jan. of 2017, Flowers signed up for his first PGA/USGA Rules of Golf Workshop. The final exam at the end of the 3½-day session was much more difficult than he ever imagined.
“I thought I knew golf,” said Flowers, a former member of Oklahoma Baptist University’s Men’s Golf Team. “I found out quickly I didn’t know anything about the Rules. That first test blew me away.”
Flowers wasn’t discouraged by his poor performance on his first Rules of Golf test. To the contrary, it lit a fire deep inside.
“Rules officiating is really what I wanted to do,” Flowers said. “So, I began studying and became involved with the Texas Golf Association.”
Just months following the Rules of Golf Workshop, Flowers was working his first event at the Legends Junior Tour Bluebonnet Championship at Brownwood Country Club.
“After my first tournament I was hooked,” Flowers said. “And ever since then I’ve been studying all the time and officiating across the state.”
In his third year as a TGA Championship Volunteer, the 72-year-old averages over 50 days of officiating across TGA, LJT, USGA and NCAA tournament schedules. Giving back to the game brings fulfillment into Flowers life, and he values the lessons golf teaches.
“What has amazed me about it all is the integrity of the game,” Flowers said. “I love to see kids and players who have integrity. They want to be the best that they can be and to see them work that out on the golf course intrigues me.”
Flowers’ dedication to the TGA and his tremendous support of the LJT is unwavering. His efforts to help make TGA tournaments a success is a part of who he is: a man who strives for excellence.
“I have always had a real burning desire and commitment to whatever I do and try to do it to my best ability,” Flowers said. “I like being a part of an organization like the TGA that strives for excellence and being able to help an organization like that.”
The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to Chuck for his efforts in making our championships a success. The work and dedication from all our volunteers allows the TGA to grow and continue to support the game we all love.
To volunteer for the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational, Women’s Texas Pinehurst, Alamo Shootout and/or any other upcoming TGA tournaments, click here. To register for a 2020 PGA/USGA Rules of Golf Workshop, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes