James A. Ragan Memorial Set for Oct. 13-14
CORPUS CHRISTI – The Legends Junior Tour will host the fifth annual James A. Ragan Memorial at Corpus Christi Country Club on Oct. 13-14.
“James’s experiences at Legends Junior Tour tournaments and the friends he made always meant a lot to him,” said Mecklin Ragan, James’s sister and co-founder of the unique foundation, Triumph Over Kids Cancer. “It’s incredibly humbling to see an organization continue to honor James’s memory and help Triumph Over Kids Cancer raise awareness for pediatric cancer by hosting the James A. Ragan Memorial.”
James Ragan was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer in 2006 at the age of 13. Despite undergoing a grueling treatment regimen of chemotherapy, surgeries, radiation and experimental drug trials, Ragan started playing in LJT events just two years after his diagnosis. He became not only one of the top junior golfers in the state, but also one of the most inspirational.
The Corpus Christi native recorded three top-25 finishes on the LJT and won the 2010 Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic. He was a member of the 2010 Jackie Burke Cup South Team and was awarded the LJT Sportsmanship Award. He played in more than 20 events on the LJT before joining the Rice University men’s golf team in 2011.
After two seasons competing for the Owls, Ragan’s battle with cancer drew to a close in February of 2014. Ragan’s foundation Triumph Over Kids Cancer continues to raise money for cancer research. Today, the fund exceeds $3 million and is dedicated to improving the lives of children with cancer.
In 2015, the LJT created the James A. Ragan Memorial to remember the legacy of Ragan and his character. Now in its fifth year, the championship returns for the third time to Ragan’s home course.
“Triumph Over Kids Cancer is a great opportunity for the LJT to give back to the community and help get awareness out for an amazing organization,” LJT Tournament Director Kevin Porter said. “The Legends Junior Tour is honored to know the Ragan family so well and to get to help raise funds and fight pediatric cancer along with them.”
Last year, Flower Mound’s Rohit Madireddi completed a wire-to-wire victory in the Boys 15-18 Division. He carded rounds of 70-75 to win by two strokes. Hailey Vargas of Lubbock claimed her first LJT title with rounds of 74-77, while Keaton Vo of Austin won the Boys 14 & Under Division.
The LJT season has only two tournaments remaining to earn points toward the race for Player of the Year. As the season comes to end, players are jockeying for the final few spots on their respective Jackie Burke Cup teams. The Jackie Burke Cup will consist of two 12-player teams. The North and South will each be represented by eight players from the Boys 15-18 Division, two players from the Girls 12-18 Division and two from the Boys 14 & Under Division. The teams will be based on the final Player of the Year Points Standings. Dallas Hankamer of Temple leads the Boys 15-18, while Lauren Nguyen of Katy leads the Girls 12-18 and Grant Yerger of Driftwood leads the Boys 14 & Under standings.
The first round begins at 8 a.m. on Oct. 13. Final Round pairings will be redrawn according to first round scores and begin at 8 a.m. the next day.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes