TGA Grants Help The First Tee of The Piney Woods Expand Program
The Texas Golf Association Foundation, the chartiable arm of the TGA, recognized The First Tee of The Piney Woods with both the Bill Penn and Winners’ Program Grants in June. Fast forward five months, and the East Texas youth organization’s commitment to growing the game through junior golf has continued to expand. The First Tee of The Piney Woods used the TGA funds to launch development programs in two new cities, host cost-free clinics for kids and draw up plans to renovate the sixth green at The First Tee Wee Links in Longview.
“These grants allowed us to do some things we would have never been able to do,” The First Tee of The Piney Woods Executive Director Jay Blint said.
The Winners’ Program, now in its 11th year, is a golf-and-grades initiative of the TGA Foundation in partnership with the LPGA/USGA Girls Golf of Texas Chapters. The program was created in 2008 to promote achievement in golf and in the classroom. Girls are encouraged to make good grades and turn in their report cards throughout the year. Over the years, each of the six Texas chapters, including Piney Woods, has been a recipient of a Winners’ Program Grant.
The Bill Penn Grant, established in 2003, supports golf-related community outreach programs. Named after the TGA’s first full-time Executive Director, the Bill Penn Grant is awarded annually to eligible programs that provide local-level instruction, develop golf skills for juniors and introduce disadvantaged kids to the game. By making the sport more accessible for young people, Bill Penn Grant recipients serve the mission of the TGA Foundation by ensuring that the game of golf grows and prospers.
“The First Tee of The Piney Woods is a great example of the kinds of programs the TGA Foundation is looking to support,” TGA Foundation Managing Director Kelly Kilgo said. “They reach hundreds of kids and many of them stick with the program and continue to pursue the game of the golf.”
In 2019, The First Tee of The Piney Woods expanded its youth development program to the Hallsville Texas Boys and Girls Club. This allowed 29 kids between the ages of 7-12 to attend four weeks of golf clinics. Many of the kids experienced swinging a golf club for the first time.
One month later, The First Tee of The Piney Woods launched a new program at The Tempest Golf Club in Gladewater. The initiative gave access to a completely different group of kids and expanded The First Tee’s exposure.
“The Tempest Golf Club is probably one of the nicest courses in East Texas,” Blint said. “It’s a totally different clientele and we would have never been able to reach those people without the expansion. We now hit both ends of the economic spectrum.”
The funding also allowed the chapter to host a 100-percent cost-free, two-hour clinic for youths new to the game. Every kid who attended received a golf club following the event and many of the kids signed up for future clinics. The First Tee of The Piney Woods plans to hold similar events multiple times every year.
In October, The First Tee of The Piney Woods sent 24 golfers along with several First Tee coaches to play in a benefit event for the Texas Wounded Warriors at The Cascades Golf Club in Tyler. The First Tee kids partnered with players from the Wounded Warrior Program and opened the eyes of those who attended. According to Blint, it was a life changing event for the youth and their Wounded Warrior partners.
“Everybody’s life got changed that day,” Blint said. “It was one of those once in a lifetime experiences and it wouldn’t have happened if we didn’t have the extra money.”
The First Tee of The Piney Woods will continue expanding with the goal to reach at least 500 kids in 2020. The chapter plans to make some changes at home as well. Some of the grant funds will go toward the renovation of the sixth green at The First Tee Wee Links at the Longview Boys and Girls Club.
“It had some flooding last spring and the green is washed out,” Blint said. “We are going to do a permanent fix so the kids will always have a complete course to play especially with the addition of the older kids.”
Next year, the program in Longview will include players ages 13-17. The First Tee of The Piney Woods previously has been limited to children ages 12 and under as part of the Boys and Girls Club. The Drive 360 Program, targeted at the 13-17 age group, has opened the door for The First Tee of The Piney Woods to attract many more kids in the community.
“The money of being able to teach the younger kids and get that program off the ground has opened the door for even more expansion next year,” Blint said.
For more information about the Bill Penn Grant, Winners’ Program and TGA Foundation, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes