Annika Clark and Grace Do Named as Jackie Burke Cup Captains
DALLAS – Annika Clark and Grace Do will square off as captains at the 2019 Jackie Burke Cup at Wichita Falls Country Club on Nov. 9-10.
“I am so honored to have been selected as the captain for the South Team,” said Clark, a former LJT stand out who went on to win the 94th Women’s Texas Amateur in 2015. “Playing in the Jackie Burke Cup as a junior was one of my favorite memories from junior golf. It’s a rare experience which makes it so special.”
Do echoed Clark with her reaction to being named the captain of the North Team.
“It means a lot because I get to do it with Annika,” Do said. “We played against each other in the 2014 Jackie Burke Cup so this is kind of like a rematch.”
The 2019 Jackie Burke Cup marks the 15th meeting between the North Team and South Team. Last year, the North Team won its fifth consecutive match at Moody Gardens Golf Course to even up the overall record 7-7.
The Jackie Burke Cup consists of three rounds of matches as teams of 12 players tee off against each other. Matches are worth two points and a tied match is split: one point for each team. The matches start with six Four-Ball matches Saturday morning followed by six Foursome matches in the afternoon.
On Sunday, players are selected for 12 Singles Matches, leaving 48 possible points to be earned on the weekend. The North Team will need 24 points to retain the cup, while the South Team will need 25 points to win the cup.
Do is the captain of the North Team and competed in the 2014 Jackie Burke Cup at Champions Golf Club. She helped the North to a 27-21 victory and the first of five straight Jackie Burke Cup victories. Do won the 2014 Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship after rounds of 69-71 at Gentle Creek Golf Club and she finished solo third at the 2014 Texas Girls’ Invitational.
“I think we all really enjoyed LJT tournaments because it was great to always see the same people and it made junior golf competitive and fun,” Do said.
The junior at Texas Christian University competed alongside Clark for two seasons. Do played in all 11 tournaments for the Horned Frogs last season as a sophomore. After her freshman year, she earned Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team honors.
Clark will be captaining the South Team. The recent TCU grad also competed in the 2014 Jackie Burke Cup. The future teammates at TCU faced off in Four-Ball, Foursome and Singles Matches. Clark won two of the three matches versus Do, including a 2-and-1 victory in Singles. Clark was a three-time winner on the LJT. She claimed titles at the 2014 Jimmy Demaret Classic and 2014 LJT Winter Classic. Clark was also the 86th Texas Junior Amateur Champion in 2013 after a final round 1-under 71 at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Course secured a three-shot victory over Julia Beck.
“The Legends Junior Tour in my opinion is one of the best run tours for junior players,” Clark said. “I know that competing in their tournaments helped me become the player I am today.”
Clark continued her great play throughout her amateur career as a four-year letterman for TCU. In addition to her Women’s Texas Amateur victory in 2015, she was recognized twice as First-Team Academic All-Big 12 and awarded 2019 Big 12 Women’s Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Clark’s final season stroke average of 74.62 ranks No. 1 in TCU history. And just months before turning professional, Clark added a second TGA Major Championship to her resume with a win at the 2019 Women’s Stroke Play Championship at Briggs Ranch Golf Club.
This year’s Jackie Burke Cup will be contested at Wichita Falls Country Club. The course will host the matches for the first time and join a distinguished list of clubs including Champions Golf Club, Whispering Pines Golf Club, Brook Hollow Golf Club, Spanish Oaks Golf Club, Bent Tree Country Club, Miramont Golf Club, Escondido Golf Club and Traditions Club.
From its humble start in 1914 as a homemade nine-hole course, Wichita Falls Country Club has evolved into one of the region’s foremost country clubs. At its center is a classic parkland course that was completely renovated in 2008 by D.A. Weibring and Steve Wolford. The respected architectural team added length, altered target zones and improved green contours to modernize the traditional design that challenges players of all skill levels.
Players are selected to the Jackie Burke Cup teams based on their play on the Legends Junior Tour and throughout the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Each team consists of eight players from the Boys 15-18 Division, two from the Boys 14 & Under Division and two from the Girls 12-18 Division.
There will be a banquet for players on Friday, Nov. 8, when pairings for Saturday morning will be announced along with the 2019 Player of the Year awards and the James A. Ragan Sportsman of the Year. For more information on the Jackie Burke Cup Matches, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes