December Volunteer Spotlight – Paul Marchand
Paul Marchand bleeds maroon and white. He dons the Aggie logo on his daily apparel and loves Texas A&M University. The die-hard fan calls Traditions Club in Aggieland home; and though it might surprise some to learn he doesn’t own a gold Texas A&M class ring.
“Well, I graduated from Baylor,” Marchand said. “But my wife and I are Aggies at heart, and it’s a great place to live. There is a lot to do in association with the school.”
Marchand’s daughter attended Texas A&M from 2007-11, and over the years he became involved with the university. In 2008, the former avid amateur golfer started to volunteer with the Texas A&M Men’s and Women’s golf programs. He started as a spotter for the Aggie Invitational and eventually served as a volunteer Tournament Director for the 2011 NCAA Women’s Golf National Championship at Traditions Club in Bryan.
“Through my involvement with the Aggie golf teams, I met a guy named Larry Cooper, who was the USGA Regional Affairs Committee Member,” Marchand said. “I asked him how he got involved with Rules officiating and he pointed me toward the Texas Golf Association.”
In 2012, Marchand contacted the TGA and attended a PGA/USGA Rules of Golf Workshop. The Aggie golf volunteer quickly became involved with TGA Volunteer Program.
“I wanted to continue to give back to the game of golf,” Marchand said. “It has provided me with a lot enjoyment, a lot of fellowship and I wanted to see how I could help grow the game.”
Marchand’s dedication to the TGA was evident from his first tournament. He leaned on the experience of longtime TGA volunteers and eventually was named a TGA Board of Director in 2013.
“I was extremely fortunate to meet Bobby Grabstald (TGA Volunteer since 2002), Nick Bramlet (TGA Volunteer since 2007) and Woody Fail (TGA Volunteer since 2007),” Marchand said. “They took me under my wing as I started to get involved with the TGA and they were very influential on where I am today as a Rules Official and Board of Director.”
Today, Marchand serves on the Executive Committee and Chairs the TGA Championships Committee. He says his goal is to provide support to the TGA and game of golf.
“I believe the TGA is one of the best golf associations in the United States,” Marchand said. “It is all about the team effort and the TGA does a great job of building a very good team.”
The reward from volunteering and giving back to the game has been a focus of Marchand since his first Aggie Invitational. Now as one of the influencers on the game of golf through his leadership at the TGA, his passion for giving back has not changed.
“I didn’t get into this to go work the U.S. Open or get on TV,” Marchand said. “I’ll climb the ladder as high as it’ll take me, but my goal is to be able to give back to the game, develop relations and help grow the game as much as we possibly can.”
The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to Paul for his efforts in making our championships a success. The work and dedication from all our volunteers allows the TGA to grow and continue to support the game we all love.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes