December Volunteer Spotlight – Paul Marchand
Paul Marchand bleeds maroon and white. He dons the Aggie logo on his daily apparel and loves Texas A&M University. The die-hard fan calls Traditions Club in Aggieland home; and though it might surprise some to learn he doesn’t own a gold Texas A&M class ring.
“Well, I graduated from Baylor,” Marchand said. “But my wife and I are Aggies at heart, and it’s a great place to live. There is a lot to do in association with the school.”
Marchand’s daughter attended Texas A&M from 2007-11, and over the years he became involved with the university. In 2008, the former avid amateur golfer started to volunteer with the Texas A&M Men’s and Women’s golf programs. He started as a spotter for the Aggie Invitational and eventually served as a volunteer Tournament Director for the 2011 NCAA Women’s Golf National Championship at Traditions Club in Bryan.
“Through my involvement with the Aggie golf teams, I met a guy named Larry Cooper, who was the USGA Regional Affairs Committee Member,” Marchand said. “I asked him how he got involved with Rules officiating and he pointed me toward the Texas Golf Association.”
In 2012, Marchand contacted the TGA and attended a PGA/USGA Rules of Golf Workshop. The Aggie golf volunteer quickly became involved with TGA Volunteer Program.
“I wanted to continue to give back to the game of golf,” Marchand said. “It has provided me with a lot enjoyment, a lot of fellowship and I wanted to see how I could help grow the game.”
Marchand’s dedication to the TGA was evident from his first tournament. He leaned on the experience of longtime TGA volunteers and eventually was named a TGA Board of Director in 2013.
“I was extremely fortunate to meet Bobby Grabstald (TGA Volunteer since 2002), Nick Bramlet (TGA Volunteer since 2007) and Woody Fail (TGA Volunteer since 2007),” Marchand said. “They took me under my wing as I started to get involved with the TGA and they were very influential on where I am today as a Rules Official and Board of Director.”
Today, Marchand serves on the Executive Committee and Chairs the TGA Championships Committee. He says his goal is to provide support to the TGA and game of golf.
“I believe the TGA is one of the best golf associations in the United States,” Marchand said. “It is all about the team effort and the TGA does a great job of building a very good team.”
The reward from volunteering and giving back to the game has been a focus of Marchand since his first Aggie Invitational. Now as one of the influencers on the game of golf through his leadership at the TGA, his passion for giving back has not changed.
“I didn’t get into this to go work the U.S. Open or get on TV,” Marchand said. “I’ll climb the ladder as high as it’ll take me, but my goal is to be able to give back to the game, develop relations and help grow the game as much as we possibly can.”
The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to Paul for his efforts in making our championships a success. The work and dedication from all our volunteers allows the TGA to grow and continue to support the game we all love.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes