Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play
Willow Brook Country Club
Hickman Wins Texas Mid-Amateur
Aaron Hickman goes wire-to-wire and defeats Colby
Harwell 5 and 4 at Willow Brook Country Club to win his first Texas Mid-Amateur
Match Play Championship. Hickman felt the pressure all week to perform at his
best in front of his home club and lived up to the challenge.
Date: July 23-26, 2020
Host Club: Willow Brook Country Club
Address: 3205 W. Erwin St. Tyler, TX 75702
TGA Staff Contact: Kellen Kubasak, Director of Competitions, North Texas
Entry & Eligibility Information
Entries Open: June 2, 2020 @ 9:00 AM
Entries Close: July 15, 2020 @ 5:00 PM
Exempt Deadline: June 17, 2020 @ 5:00 PM
Entry Fee: $250
Elgibility: Entries are open to male amateur golfers who reside in the state of Texas age 25 or older as of the first round of tournament play, with a WHS Handicap Index of 5.4 or less. Please reference TGA Policies & Procedures for further details, including Policies and Procedures and Terms of the Competition.
Entry Procedure: The field will be established in the order in which entries are received with a priority for exempt players in each division until the published exemption deadline of Wednesday, June 17 at 5:00 PM. Once the exemption deadline has passed, and if the field or a division is not full, the TGA will fill the remaining spots in the field with waitlisted entries, which may affect the size of each division. These entries will be accepted into the field in the order in which they were received, regardless of division. After the close of entries, teams that withdraw will be filled based on the waitlist, regardless of division. For additional information regarding the wait list and when the number of applicants exceeds the field capacity, please refer to the TGA Policies and Procedures.
Format/Field Size: The championship is scheduled for 18 holes of stroke play qualifying on Thursday, July 23. The low 32 players from stroke play qualifying will advance to match play beginning on Friday, July 24. The field is limited to 88 players.
Caddies: Caddies are NOT permitted during the championship.
Transportation: Players are encouraged to ride throughout the 2020 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play. During the stroke play qualifying round, there will be a maximum of two carts per group. Players riding in shared carts will be required to wear a mask. Players may walk at any time and will not be required to wear a mask if socially distant. During the match play portion of the event, all players will have their own cart.
Schedule of Events
Tuesday, May 26
9:00 AM - Entries Open
Wednesday, June 17
5:00 PM - Exempt Deadline Closes
Wednesday, July 15
5:00 PM - Entries Close
Wednesday, July 22
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM - Practice Rounds
8:00 AM - Practice Round Starting Times - #1 Tee
Thursday, July 23
8:00 AM - Stroke Play Qualifying Round - #1 Tee
Following Play - Field cut to the low 32 players for Match Play
Friday, July 24
7:30 AM - Round of 32 Matches
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM - Player Lunches
1:00 PM - Round of 16 Matches
Saturday, July 25
7:30 AM - Quarterfinal Matches
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Player Lunches
12:00 PM - Semifinal Matches
Sunday, July 26
7:30 AM - Championship Match
Exemptions: Provided players are otherwise eligible, exemptions are given to the following:
a. Last three (3) Texas Amateur Champions:
- Ryan Grider - 2019
- Mitchell Meissner - 2018 (Ineligible)
- Zander Lozano - 2017
b. Last three (3) Texas Mid-Amateur Champions:
- Christopher Wheeler - 2019
- Colby Harwell - 2018, 2017
c. Players advancing into the Round of 16 in the match play portion of the previous year’s Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play:
- Jake Istrick
- Charles White
- Joseph Mathis
- Geoff Heller
- Anthony Estorga
- Kevin Liberto
- Bryan Mitchell
- Danny Lovell
- Randy Lance
- Shaun Helmle
- Bart Worthing
- Josh Swanson
- John Dowdall
- Gary Ezmerlian
d. Top 10 finishers in the previous year’s Texas Mid-Amateur:
- Jeff Howard
- Marcus Jones
- Brandon Immel
- Rob Couture
- Clay Hodge
- Blake Trimble
- Travis Woolf
- Brad Mason
- Alex Woodward
- Jess Bonneau
e. Top 10 finishers in the current year’s Texas Amateur:
- 111th Texas Amateur Postponed to August 7-9
f. Winner and Runner-Up in the current year’s Regional Mid-Amateurs:
g. Low Mid-Master from the previous year’s Texas Mid-Amateur:
- Marcus Jones
h. Three (3) Host Club exemptions:
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Trey Bosco wins the 111th Texas Amateur after a closing 2-under-par 69 at Boot Ranch. The 18-year-old from Austin captures the victory by one and is the second straight Baylor Men's Golf player to hoist the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy.
... 1 CommentsBoot Ranch Congratulations, Trey Bosco!36 Likes
- Caleb Hicks from Arlington is 18 holes away from capturing the biggest amateur title in his young career. The 20-year-old UTA Men's Golf junior leads the #TexasAmateur by two shots headed into Sunday’s final at Boot Ranch.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/08/08/caleb-hicks-leads-111th-texas-amateur-by-two-shots/
... 14 Likes
- 🏆 Round 3 is underway at Boot Ranch!
🔗 Full Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#TexasAmateur 10 Likes
- Chris Wheeler leads the #TexasAmateur thru 36 holes following rounds of 64-71. The defending #TexasMidAm champion heads into the weekend with a one-shot lead.
Round 3 will begin at Boot Ranch at 8:00 a.m.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/08/07/chris-wheeler-holds-lead-at-111th-texas-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 10 Likes
- Just a moment... We were saddened to learn Robert Jess Claiborne, a longtime TGA Board Member, passed away on Aug. 1 in Alto, New Mexico. He was 73. Jess was a tremendous player and supporter of golf and the TGA. 4 CommentsTrevor Hyde Great man and a big supporter of the TGADavid Pocknall Very sad, only met him a couple of times but remember them, way to youngSam Hansard Always made you feel good about yourself! Will miss you Jess!4 Likes
- 🏆 Round 2 is underway at Boot Ranch!
🔗 Full Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#TexasAmateur 11 Likes
- 🎥 What a start to the #TexasAmateur @bootranchtx! Chris Wheeler, a 37-year-old mid-amateur fires a bogey-free 7-under-par 64. The defending #TexasMidAm champion leads the field by one stroke. 2 Comments 13 Likes
- Chris Wheeler leads the #TexasAmateur following a 7-under-par 64. The 37-year-old's bogey-free opening round gives him a one-shot lead. The defending #TexasMidAm champion finds himself in contention once again at a TGA Major Championship.
Round 1 was suspended due to ... 20 Likes
- 🎥 Boot Ranch is hosting the #TexasAmateur for the first time in history! Known as one of the premier clubs in the state of Texas, the 7,155-yard championship course is set to welcome some of the best amateurs to the ... 2 CommentsRob Addington Best of luck to the players and staff. You are in for a treat. Stay safe and hit it straight. John Hendry Great video promotion of this Tourney at this top quality Course!17 Likes
- 🏆 Serena Shah carded rounds of 76-71-77 at Crown Colony to claim the Women’s Stroke Play Championship title. The Southern Methodist University junior joins a great list of #WomensStrokePlay champions!
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/08/01/serena-shah-wins-womens-stroke-play-championship/
🔢 Full Leaderboard:https://www.txga.org/womens-stroke-play-2020-leaderboard/ 1 CommentsLarry Kelting congrats7 Likes
- NGF reports records amount of golf are being played right now, and courses are in better shape than ever – all thanks to amazing club superintendents. Recognize your golf course superintendent by tagging your super/club below using the hashtag #SuperShoutout ... 3 CommentsJason R. Smith Mike Hundley does an amazing job at Paris Golf and country club!!! With the budget and staff he has, comparatively ...Mike Hundley Jason R. Smith thanks budTobias Herrera IV Scott Terry the best around! Pine Forest Country ClubScott Terry Thanks TShawn Stoute Tobias Herrera IV second that!!Jack Wickstrom Landon Wickstrom and Christopher Blair!Christopher Blair Thanks Jack!6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Texas Golf Association added 121 new photos. 1 CommentsCraig Rickaway Website is not coming up to join the origanization.Texas Golf Association Craig Rickaway We apologize for the inconvenience! We are working diligently to get our website back up as soon as ...21 Likes
- JT Pittman joins a long history of #WestTexasAm Champions. After a final round 2-under-par 70 at Bentwood Country Club, the Midland College sophomore finished at 8-under overall and two strokes better than the field.
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/07/19/jt-pittman-wins-92nd-west-texas-amateur/
🔢 Results: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 9 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 92nd West Texas Amateur Champions!
🏆 Championship Division: JT Pittman (68-70-70 (-8))
🏆 Senior Division: Lewis Stephenson (77-70-66 (-3))
🏆 Super Senior Division: Doug Hopton-Jones (75-73-73 (+5))
#WestTexasAm 1 CommentsAlan Phillips Way to go, Lewis!25 Likes
- 🚨 Final Round is underway at Bentwood Country Club!
🔗 Follow live scoring here: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#WestTexasAm 4 Likes
- JT Pittman followed his 4-under 68 in Round 1 with a 2-under 70 on Saturday. He leads by one stroke with 18 holes left to play at Bentwood Country Club.
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/07/18/jt-pittman-takes-the-lead-at-92nd-west-texas-amateur/
🔢 Full Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#WestTexasAm 1 CommentsDeana Heard Smith Awesome job JT Finish Strong8 Likes