Winter Classic Returns to Dallas Athletic Club
DALLAS – For the seventh straight year, the Winter Classic will be the first event of the Legends Junior Tour season. During that time, the field has proved to be one of the top-ranked LJT events on its schedule.
Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course will play host for the 11th consecutive year. It was originally designed by Ralph Plummer before Jack Nicklaus, who won the 1963 PGA Championship held at DAC, remodeled the course in 1984. The esteemed 18-hole championship venue hosted last year’s 110th Texas Amateur and the 2012 Texas Mid-Amateur. The par-72 layout stretches to 6,922 yards.
The 84-player field is divided into three different divisions: Boys 15-18, Boys 14 & Under and Girls 12-18. Players eligible for the tournament have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance and have earned their way into the field by way of the LJT Priority Entry Status.
This year’s Winter Classic boasts another strong cast of competitors across all three divisions. Ben Delarosa and Andrew Petruzzelli of Dallas highlight the Boys 15-18 Division. Both players played last season in the Boys 14 & Under Division and finished within the top-7 of the Player of the Year Standings. Delarosa won the 2019 Boys 14 & Under Texas Junior Amateur, while Petruzzelli claimed two Boys 14 & Under Division titles. The 2023 high school graduates will tee it up against a host of great players, including Jacob King of Boerne, Jackson Davenport of Austin and Jacob Salazar of League City.
The Girls 12-18 Division features 2021 University of Oklahoma commit Meagan Winans of Richardson, 2019 George Hannon Junior Invitational Champion Kaylee Vesley of Austin, 2019 North Texas Classic Champion Tillie Claggett of The Woodlands and the 2019 Player of the Year runner-up Estelle Seon of Trophy Club.
Trenton Mierl of Austin, who won last year’s George Hannon Junior Invitational and Bluebonnet Championship, highlights the Boys 14 & Under Division. The 2024 high school graduate registered seven top-10s last season and never finished worse than solo sixth.
“The Winter Classic usually has a strong field as players are looking to get back into competition following a brief break over the holidays,” LJT Tournament Director Kevin Porter said. “This year’s field is no different and will be a great way to start the 2020 season.”
Due to inclement weather, last year’s Winter Classic’s first round was canceled and the championship was cut to an 18-hole event. Heath’s Matthew Watkins won the Boys 15-18 Division after a round of 4-under 68. Maddi Olson of Abilene carded an even-par 72 to win the Girls 12-18 Division, while Tyler Lee of Dallas clinched the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Other past champions include Brad Dalke, Cole Hammer, Brandon Smith, Annika Clark, Hailey Jones, Grace Choi and Sadie Englemann.
The Winter Classic is the first of 10 open LJT events. The open events are available to any member of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is made up of the TGA, NTPGA, STPGA and HGA. Players earn entry into the open events through their play on the LJT and in Texas Junior Golf Alliance events.
Tee times begin Saturday, Jan. 18, at 8 a.m. The final round takes place on Sunday, Jan. 19. For more information on the Winter Classic or the LJT, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes