Fang and Vesely Break Par and Lead Winter Classic
Boys 15-18 Division
1. Ethan Fang, Plano 69
2. Jacob Salazar, League City 70
3. Peter Clark, McKinney 71
4. Andrew Baucum, Heath 73
5. Ty Holbrook, Granbury 74
Girls 12-18 Division
1. Kaylee Vesely, Austin 71
2. Darrelyn Webster, Austin 76
T3. Ashley Liu, Plano 78
T3. Summer Lee, Plano 78
T5. Eubin Shim, Waco 79
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Awesome Burnett, Flower Mound 73
T1. Nathan Marion, San Antonio 73
3. Trenton Mierl, Austin 74
4. Brooks Simmons, Dallas 77
5. Bowen Ballis, Shenandoah 78
Division Leaders: Plano’s Fang posted the low round of the day in the Winter Classic with his 3-under 69. Fang made four birdies in the tough conditions with only one bogey and leads the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke. Austin’s Vesely finished at 1-under on Saturday and leads the Girls 12-18 Division by five strokes. The 2018 Winter Classic Girls 12-18 Division Champion made four birdies in the first round. Burnett of Flower Mound and Marion of San Antonio are tied for the lead in the Boys 14 & Under Divisionat 1-over 73. Both players are seeking their first wins with the Legends Junior Tour.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, League City’s Jacob Salazar sits behind Fang by one stroke heading into the final round. McKinney’s Peter Clark is in third place at 1-under 71 followed by Heath’s Andrew Baucum in fourth and Granbury’s Ty Holbrook in fifth. Sitting in sixth place in the Division is Ben Brogdon from Little Rock, Ark. With four players tied for seventh at 4-over and seven players tied for 11th at 5-over. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Austin’s Darrelyn Webster sits in second at 4-over followed by Ashley Liu and Summer Lee of Plano, who are tied for third. Eubin Shim, Meagan Winans and Ellie Szeryk are tied for fifth in the division. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Austin’s Trenton Mierl sits in third place and one stroke back of the leaders.
Weather: Conditions were tough out at Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course on Saturday. Temperatures ranged in the 50s throughout the day, but the wind was gusting upwards of 30 miles per hour from the north. The sun was out for the first time in a couple days in Dallas and helped dry the course out after two consecutive days of rain.
Course: Dallas Athletic Club is hosting the Winter Classic for the 11th straight year. The Blue Course was originally designed Ralph Plummer and then remodeled by Jack Nicklaus in 1984. Nicklaus won the 1963 PGA Championship, which was held at Dallas Athletic Club. The course stretches out to 6,700 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,200 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and close to 6,000 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
Tournament Format: The Winter Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for players with an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Players ages 12-18 are split into three different divisions. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek and has AJGA Performance Stars that will be handed out to the top finishers.
What’s Next: The final round of the Winter Classic is set for Sunday, January 19 with tee times going off the No. 1 and 10 tees starting at 8:00 am. Pairings for Sunday are drawn according to score from the first round and can be found by clicking here.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern Texas PGA and Houston Golf Association. The Tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization. Since its inception in 2005, the Tour has provided more than $250,000 to promote junior golf initiatives and exposure to the game to those who might not otherwise have the opportunity across the state.
To learn more about the Winter Classic, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes