Fang and Vesely Break Par and Lead Winter Classic
Boys 15-18 Division
1. Ethan Fang, Plano 69
2. Jacob Salazar, League City 70
3. Peter Clark, McKinney 71
4. Andrew Baucum, Heath 73
5. Ty Holbrook, Granbury 74
Girls 12-18 Division
1. Kaylee Vesely, Austin 71
2. Darrelyn Webster, Austin 76
T3. Ashley Liu, Plano 78
T3. Summer Lee, Plano 78
T5. Eubin Shim, Waco 79
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Awesome Burnett, Flower Mound 73
T1. Nathan Marion, San Antonio 73
3. Trenton Mierl, Austin 74
4. Brooks Simmons, Dallas 77
5. Bowen Ballis, Shenandoah 78
Division Leaders: Plano’s Fang posted the low round of the day in the Winter Classic with his 3-under 69. Fang made four birdies in the tough conditions with only one bogey and leads the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke. Austin’s Vesely finished at 1-under on Saturday and leads the Girls 12-18 Division by five strokes. The 2018 Winter Classic Girls 12-18 Division Champion made four birdies in the first round. Burnett of Flower Mound and Marion of San Antonio are tied for the lead in the Boys 14 & Under Divisionat 1-over 73. Both players are seeking their first wins with the Legends Junior Tour.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, League City’s Jacob Salazar sits behind Fang by one stroke heading into the final round. McKinney’s Peter Clark is in third place at 1-under 71 followed by Heath’s Andrew Baucum in fourth and Granbury’s Ty Holbrook in fifth. Sitting in sixth place in the Division is Ben Brogdon from Little Rock, Ark. With four players tied for seventh at 4-over and seven players tied for 11th at 5-over. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Austin’s Darrelyn Webster sits in second at 4-over followed by Ashley Liu and Summer Lee of Plano, who are tied for third. Eubin Shim, Meagan Winans and Ellie Szeryk are tied for fifth in the division. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Austin’s Trenton Mierl sits in third place and one stroke back of the leaders.
Weather: Conditions were tough out at Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course on Saturday. Temperatures ranged in the 50s throughout the day, but the wind was gusting upwards of 30 miles per hour from the north. The sun was out for the first time in a couple days in Dallas and helped dry the course out after two consecutive days of rain.
Course: Dallas Athletic Club is hosting the Winter Classic for the 11th straight year. The Blue Course was originally designed Ralph Plummer and then remodeled by Jack Nicklaus in 1984. Nicklaus won the 1963 PGA Championship, which was held at Dallas Athletic Club. The course stretches out to 6,700 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,200 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and close to 6,000 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
Tournament Format: The Winter Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for players with an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Players ages 12-18 are split into three different divisions. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek and has AJGA Performance Stars that will be handed out to the top finishers.
What’s Next: The final round of the Winter Classic is set for Sunday, January 19 with tee times going off the No. 1 and 10 tees starting at 8:00 am. Pairings for Sunday are drawn according to score from the first round and can be found by clicking here.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern Texas PGA and Houston Golf Association. The Tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization. Since its inception in 2005, the Tour has provided more than $250,000 to promote junior golf initiatives and exposure to the game to those who might not otherwise have the opportunity across the state.
To learn more about the Winter Classic, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!14 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes