Fang, Mierl, Vesely Win Winter Classic
1. Ethan Fang, Plano 69-69 | 138
T2. Ty Holbrook, Granbury 74-71 | 145
T2. Andrew Baucum, Heath 73-72 | 145
T4. Trevor Mierl, Austin 76-70 | 146
T4. Jacob Salazar, League City 70-76 | 146
Girls 12-18 Division
1. Kaylee Vesely, Austin 71-78 | 149
2. Darrelyn Webster, Austin 76-76 | 152
3. Ellie Szeryk, Allen 79-74 | 153
4. Meagan Winans, Richardson 79-76 | 155
T5. Ashley Liu, Plano 78-78 | 156
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Trenton Mierl, Austin 74-72 | 146
2. Awesome Burnett, Flower Mound 73-74 | 147
3. Nathan Marion, San Antonio 73-75 | 148
4. Brooks Simmons, Dallas 77-76 | 153
5. Bowen Ballis, Shenandoah 78-76 | 154
Division Leaders: For the second straight day, Ethan Fang posted the low round of the day on Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course with another 3-under 69. Fang posted six birdies on the day, and finished strong with five of them coming on the back nine. Vesely held on to win after holding a five-shot lead from the first round. Trenton Mierl made birdie on his last hole of tournament to win by one shot. Mierl posted four birdies on the day to erase a one-shot deficit.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Granbury’s Ty Holbrook used a final-round score of 1-under 71 to move into a tie for second along with Heath’s Andrew Baucum at 1-over par 145. After a first-round score of 4-over 76, Trevor Mierl of Austin made an eagle and two birdies on his way to a final-round score of 2-under 70. Mierl moved into a tie for fourth with League City’s Jacob Salazar at 4-over 146. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Austin’s Darrelyn Webster finished in second at 8-over 152 after a final-round score of 4-over 76. Ellie Szeryk of Allen and Richardson’s Meagan Winans both moved up the leaderboard and finished in 3rd and 4th place respectively. Ashley Liu and Summer Lee of Plano, both tied for fifth. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Flower Mound’s Awesome Burnett finished one shot back in second place, while San Antonio’s Nathan Marion finished in third.
Weather: After a tough first round, conditions at Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course started to improve on Sunday. Temperatures ranged in the mid-40s throughout the day, with a consistent north wind of seven miles per hour. Despite the lower temperature, the sun was out for the second day in a row and continued to dry the course out after previous rain showers throughout the week.
Course: Dallas Athletic Club is hosting the Winter Classic for the 11th straight year. The Blue Course was originally designed Ralph Plummer and then remodeled by Jack Nicklaus in 1984. Nicklaus won the 1963 PGA Championship, which was held at Dallas Athletic Club. The course stretches out to 6,700 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,200 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and close to 6,000 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
Tournament Format: The Winter Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for players with an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Players ages 12-18 are split into three different divisions. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek and has AJGA Performance Stars that will be handed out to the top finishers.
What’s Next: The LJT travels to Austin for the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic at Lakeway Country Club’s Live Oak Course on February 1-2. You can find more information on the tournament homepage here.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern Texas PGA and Houston Golf Association. The Tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization. Since its inception in 2005, the Tour has provided more than $250,000 to promote junior golf initiatives and exposure to the game to those who might not otherwise have the opportunity across the state.
To learn more about the Winter Classic, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes