Meet Your New TGA President: Leslie Henry
DALLAS – Leslie Henry didn’t hit her first golf ball until she was 35 years old. The accomplished amateur tennis player and former collegiate athlete was a law student at the South Texas College of Law in Houston when she quickly realized golf needed to be a part of her life.
“If I did not go play golf with the guys, I would have to write everyone’s legal brief,” Henry said. “So I decided I should learn how to play golf.”
The game she started with friends more than 20 years ago has led to a successful career both in the law office and on the golf course. Because of the positive impact golf has had on her life, Henry felt an obligation to give back and influence the future of the sport for everyone. In January, Henry succeeded Carey Schulten as TGA President and became the first woman to serve as Chair of the Board of Directors.
“One of the TGA’s missions is for anyone who plays in our events to feel like they had a world-class experience,” Henry said. “And for anyone that plays golf, we want to make sure we keep reminding them why they play golf and why they love golf. If we can do that, then I think we accomplish our mission.”
Henry is a Partner with Adams and Reese, a law firm with offices in 16 cities across the southern Unites States. She has practiced law for more than 23 years and represents and advises large corporations in various areas of litigation. In 2016, Henry was elected as Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, one of the highest honors a member of the State Bar of Texas can receive. She also currently serves on the Adams and Reese Executive Committee.
Henry’s initial involvement in the game of golf was for professional reasons, but she quickly became “hooked,” which led to a successful amateur career. She has qualified for the Texas Cup South Team, U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur and U.S. Women’s Senior Amateur. She's also won the Greater Houston Women’s Senior City Championship twice.
As Henry became competitive among the top amateurs in Texas, she started serving on the WTGA Board of Directors in 2012. She was instrumental in the process of merging the WTGA with the TGA in 2014 and was one of five women named to the TGA Board of Directors. Henry chairs the Women’s Committee and was elected as the first female officer of the TGA in 2016.
“The great collaboration between the men and the women can never be emphasized enough with how important it was when all the guys from the TGA invited us in,” Henry said. “We are now really interested in making golf more accessible to anyone that wants to play the game.”
Henry enters her tenure as President with a wealth of leadership experience and plans to lead by example.
“You want to be able to set a standard for how you act,” Henry said. “You want to be able to look outside the box, to be able to make sure we have growth and come up with new ideas. When you play a sport, I think you have the obligation to give back and that is what the TGA has done for me.”
Henry assumes her Presidency with plenty of new golf initiatives in Texas. The USGA launched the World Handicap System in January, the 2020 U.S. Women’s Open will be played at Champions Golf Club in Houston and the PGA of America is moving its headquarters to Frisco in 2021. Henry will serve a two-year term as TGA President through 2022.
“It is a super exciting time for golf right now,” Henry said. “And we are beyond blessed to have the TGA in the state of Texas.”
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes