Matthew Watkins Fires 71 and Leads Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic
Boys 15-18 Division
1. Matthew Watkins 71
T2. Andrew Spaulding 72
T2. Patrick Kahanek 72
4. Tyler Durden 73
5. Zachary Kingsland 74
Girls 12-18 Division
T1. Tillie Claggett 74
T1. Vera Yi 74
T3. Avery Thompson 76
T3. Raleygh Simpson 76
T5. Maddi Olson 77
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Trenton Mierl 75
T2. Braden Bergman 77
T2. Grant Yerger 77
T2. Jackson Bade 77
T5. Bowen Ballis 78
Leaders: Heath’s Watkins posted the only under-par round of the day at the Live Oak Course. He started his day with a double-bogey on the par-4 10th but made the turn at 1-under after making birdies on 11, 16 and 18. He dropped a shot on the par-4 second but made a birdie on the par-5 eighth to get back under par and one stroke ahead of the Boys 15-18 Division field. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Claggett of The Woodlands and Yi of Austin are tied at 2-over 74. Both players made four birdies in their opening rounds. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Mierl leads by two strokes and seeks his second victory in the division this year after winning the Winter Classic last month in Dallas. Mierl made the turn at 5-over but made birdies on 11, 13 and 15 to shoot a 3-over 75 in the first round.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Spring’s Andrew Spaulding and San Antonio’s Patrick Kahanek are tied for second at even-par 72. Austin’s Tyler Durden sits in fourth place in the division at 1-over, while Zachary Kingsland of Austin sits alone in fifth place at 2-over. Eight players are tied for sixth in the division at 3-over heading into Sunday’s Final Round. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Houston’s Avery Thompson and Kerrville’s Raleygh Simpson are tied for third and two strokes back of the leaders at 4-over. Three players share a tie for fifth including two-time defending champion Maddi Olson at 5-over 77. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, three players are tied for second including defending Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year Grant Yerger, who is also the defending champion in the division.
Course: Lakeway Country Club’s Live Oak course is hosting the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic for the second time in the last three years. The course was designed by Leon Howard and bends through the residential Lakeway neighborhood in Austin. The course features rolling hills with tree-lined fairways and small greens.
Weather: The day started off cold with temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s on Saturday, but the sun got up and the skies cleared for a beautiful afternoon with temperatures in the mid to high 60s and wind around five miles per hour.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern PGA and Houston Golf Association. The tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its foundation. Since its inception in 2005, the tour has provided funds to promote junior golf initiatives while conducting some of the state’s top junior championships including the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, Texas Junior Amateur and the Texas Girls’ Invitational as well as the Texas Cup Invitational.
What’s Next: The Final Round of the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 2 with tee times going off the No. 1 and 10 tees. To see pairings for the final round, click here.
For more information on the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, visit the tournament homepage by clicking here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes