Matthew Watkins Fires 71 and Leads Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic
Boys 15-18 Division
1. Matthew Watkins 71
T2. Andrew Spaulding 72
T2. Patrick Kahanek 72
4. Tyler Durden 73
5. Zachary Kingsland 74
Girls 12-18 Division
T1. Tillie Claggett 74
T1. Vera Yi 74
T3. Avery Thompson 76
T3. Raleygh Simpson 76
T5. Maddi Olson 77
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Trenton Mierl 75
T2. Braden Bergman 77
T2. Grant Yerger 77
T2. Jackson Bade 77
T5. Bowen Ballis 78
Leaders: Heath’s Watkins posted the only under-par round of the day at the Live Oak Course. He started his day with a double-bogey on the par-4 10th but made the turn at 1-under after making birdies on 11, 16 and 18. He dropped a shot on the par-4 second but made a birdie on the par-5 eighth to get back under par and one stroke ahead of the Boys 15-18 Division field. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Claggett of The Woodlands and Yi of Austin are tied at 2-over 74. Both players made four birdies in their opening rounds. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Mierl leads by two strokes and seeks his second victory in the division this year after winning the Winter Classic last month in Dallas. Mierl made the turn at 5-over but made birdies on 11, 13 and 15 to shoot a 3-over 75 in the first round.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Spring’s Andrew Spaulding and San Antonio’s Patrick Kahanek are tied for second at even-par 72. Austin’s Tyler Durden sits in fourth place in the division at 1-over, while Zachary Kingsland of Austin sits alone in fifth place at 2-over. Eight players are tied for sixth in the division at 3-over heading into Sunday’s Final Round. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Houston’s Avery Thompson and Kerrville’s Raleygh Simpson are tied for third and two strokes back of the leaders at 4-over. Three players share a tie for fifth including two-time defending champion Maddi Olson at 5-over 77. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, three players are tied for second including defending Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year Grant Yerger, who is also the defending champion in the division.
Course: Lakeway Country Club’s Live Oak course is hosting the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic for the second time in the last three years. The course was designed by Leon Howard and bends through the residential Lakeway neighborhood in Austin. The course features rolling hills with tree-lined fairways and small greens.
Weather: The day started off cold with temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s on Saturday, but the sun got up and the skies cleared for a beautiful afternoon with temperatures in the mid to high 60s and wind around five miles per hour.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern PGA and Houston Golf Association. The tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its foundation. Since its inception in 2005, the tour has provided funds to promote junior golf initiatives while conducting some of the state’s top junior championships including the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, Texas Junior Amateur and the Texas Girls’ Invitational as well as the Texas Cup Invitational.
What’s Next: The Final Round of the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 2 with tee times going off the No. 1 and 10 tees. To see pairings for the final round, click here.
For more information on the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, visit the tournament homepage by clicking here.
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes
- Supporting Triumph Over Kids Cancer is personal for Scheffler Texas native and #LJTAlumni, Scottie Scheffler, recently supported Triumph Over Kid Cancer. His personal connection to the charity runs deep and dates back to his time playing on the Legends Junior Tour!
#JARMemorial 12 Likes
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us in Lufkin, TX for a special #GivingTuesday event, where all proceeds go toward the #TGAFoundation.
📍 Crown Colony
📅 Tues., Dec. 1 @ 10AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Lunch & Prizes
Follow ... 1 Likes