Matthew Watkins Fires 71 and Leads Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic
Boys 15-18 Division
1. Matthew Watkins 71
T2. Andrew Spaulding 72
T2. Patrick Kahanek 72
4. Tyler Durden 73
5. Zachary Kingsland 74
Girls 12-18 Division
T1. Tillie Claggett 74
T1. Vera Yi 74
T3. Avery Thompson 76
T3. Raleygh Simpson 76
T5. Maddi Olson 77
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Trenton Mierl 75
T2. Braden Bergman 77
T2. Grant Yerger 77
T2. Jackson Bade 77
T5. Bowen Ballis 78
Leaders: Heath’s Watkins posted the only under-par round of the day at the Live Oak Course. He started his day with a double-bogey on the par-4 10th but made the turn at 1-under after making birdies on 11, 16 and 18. He dropped a shot on the par-4 second but made a birdie on the par-5 eighth to get back under par and one stroke ahead of the Boys 15-18 Division field. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Claggett of The Woodlands and Yi of Austin are tied at 2-over 74. Both players made four birdies in their opening rounds. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Mierl leads by two strokes and seeks his second victory in the division this year after winning the Winter Classic last month in Dallas. Mierl made the turn at 5-over but made birdies on 11, 13 and 15 to shoot a 3-over 75 in the first round.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Spring’s Andrew Spaulding and San Antonio’s Patrick Kahanek are tied for second at even-par 72. Austin’s Tyler Durden sits in fourth place in the division at 1-over, while Zachary Kingsland of Austin sits alone in fifth place at 2-over. Eight players are tied for sixth in the division at 3-over heading into Sunday’s Final Round. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Houston’s Avery Thompson and Kerrville’s Raleygh Simpson are tied for third and two strokes back of the leaders at 4-over. Three players share a tie for fifth including two-time defending champion Maddi Olson at 5-over 77. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, three players are tied for second including defending Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year Grant Yerger, who is also the defending champion in the division.
Course: Lakeway Country Club’s Live Oak course is hosting the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic for the second time in the last three years. The course was designed by Leon Howard and bends through the residential Lakeway neighborhood in Austin. The course features rolling hills with tree-lined fairways and small greens.
Weather: The day started off cold with temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s on Saturday, but the sun got up and the skies cleared for a beautiful afternoon with temperatures in the mid to high 60s and wind around five miles per hour.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern PGA and Houston Golf Association. The tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its foundation. Since its inception in 2005, the tour has provided funds to promote junior golf initiatives while conducting some of the state’s top junior championships including the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, Texas Junior Amateur and the Texas Girls’ Invitational as well as the Texas Cup Invitational.
What’s Next: The Final Round of the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 2 with tee times going off the No. 1 and 10 tees. To see pairings for the final round, click here.
For more information on the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, visit the tournament homepage by clicking here.
- Round 1 of the #SuperSenior at Ridglea Country Club (North Course) is underway!
For pairings and tee times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-super-senior-amateur-pairings/ 6 Likes
- Wilshire & Dees win the 2021 #WomensPartnership! 🏆🏆
Thank you to all of the competitors that came out to Riverhill Country Club!
🔗Learn More: https://www.txga.org/2021/04/13/wilshire-and-dees-win-the-womens-partnership/
🔢Final Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/tga-2021-womens-partnership-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes
- Timeline Photos What an amazing week at the #Masters2021 for Will Zalatoris, 2nd place in his first-ever start at Augusta National! Will won the 105th Texas Amateur in 2014 & has often said it was his first major amateur victory. Congrats, Will! ... 57 Likes
- Augusta Jam & Mayors Masters Experience | April 7 - 10, 2021 We are excited to be a part of Augusta Jam & The Mayor’s Masters Experience presented by Toyota USA hosted in the Play Golf Designs Inc. Virtual Clubhouse.
🔊 COMPLIMENTARY REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Join us this week to celebrate ... 1 CommentsMayor's Masters Experience Thank you! ✨ #MME20212 Likes
- Auto Shot Tracking with Apple Watch As an official partner of Golfshot GPS, we're excited to announce their newest feature, Auto Shot Tracking for Apple Watch. This feature auto-detects your swing and tracks your shots right from your Apple Watch.
Follow the link to see how ...
- Eight Drive, Chip & Putt Champions Crowned at Augusta Four boys and four girls ages 7-15 were crowned champions on Sunday at the 2021 Drive, Chip & Putt National Finals at Augusta National Golf Club. 6 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for this incredible #TexasTuesdayDeal - brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X Short Par 4. Get your #GolfBuddy w/ voice today and save $90! Want more deals? Sign up for the #TGAPlayersBox today and save ... 3 Likes
- Local links: Maulana Dotch becomes first Black woman PGA member to serve as GM of... Congrats to one of our state's best golf pros! Well deserved & good luck, Maulana!
Follow the link to read about Maulana Dotch's incredible journey on becoming the first Black woman PGA member to serve as GM of golf facility. 8 Likes
- Practice round is underway at Moody Garends Golf Course for the 2021 #WomensEclectic. The Texas Golf Association is looking forward to hosting a safe and competitive championship. Good luck to all competitors this week!
🔗Learn More: ￼ https://www.txga.org/tga-womens-eclectic-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes