Yen Leads Texas Girls' Invitational
MONTGOMERY – Ashley Yen fires a 3-under 69 in the second round of the Texas Girls’ Invitational and leads by two strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club heading into Monday’s final round.
Yen is a native of Houston and posted rounds of 72-69 on Sunday to take the lead in this girls-only event. She made 10 birdies in 36 holes including making birdie on holes No. 3, 13, 14 and 17 during both rounds. Her round of 69 in the afternoon consisted of five birdies and only two bogeys.
The Texas Girls’ Invitational is a 54-hole stroke-play event for girls and is the first Major Tournament on the Legends Junior Tour Schedule. Players earned their way into the field by playing in Texas Junior Golf Alliance Events. Yen is seeking her first victory at the Texas Girls’ Invitational and her first win with the Legends Junior Tour. The first two rounds were a shotgun start on Monday with players playing 36 consecutive holes.
Trailing Yen by two strokes is Summer Lee of Plano and Emma McMyler of San Antonio. Lee posted rounds of 72-71 to get to 1-under 143 overall, while McMyler posted rounds of 70-73. Lee made seven birdies on the day through the first two rounds, while McMyler made eight.
Tied for fourth is two-time Texas Girls’ Invitational Champion Makenzie Niblett and McKinney’s Avery Zweig. Austin’s Niblett won this event back-to-back years in 2017-2018. In 2017 she won it at Crown Colony Country Club and in 2018 she won it in a playoff at Sugar Creek Country Club. She is looking to become the first three-time winner of this event and is four strokes back heading into the final round.
Zweig finished tied for third at this event in 2018 and paired with Niblett in the final round. Rounding out that penultimate group is Fort Worth’s Savannah Barber, who is sixth at 2-over 146.
Meagan Pistone, Cassidy Lambert and Meagan Winans are tied for seventh at 3-over while six other players are tied for 10th at 4-over.
Bentwater Yacht & Country Club is hosting the Texas Girls’ Invitational for the fifth time in the tournament’s 11-year history. The event returns to the Weiskopf Course for the first time since 2016. The course was designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish and features rolling fairways and greens that seem to emerge form the thick forests of hardwood pines. The 12th hole on the course features a split fairway with a green that is backed up by Lake Conroe. Two of the final three holes are along the side of the lake.
The weather at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club couldn’t have been better with temperatures starting in the mid-50s and working up to the low-70s throughout the day. The sunshine was out after 1:00 pm and the winds were light and variable all day.
Pairings for the final round of the Texas Girls Invitational were redrawn according to scores from the first two rounds. Players will be teed off the No. 1 and No. 10 tees throughout the morning. To see all the pairings for the final round, click here.
To see all the scores from the first two rounds, click here. For more information on the Texas Girls’ Invitational, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes