Ashley Yen Wins Texas Girls' Invitational
MONTGOMERY— Ashely Yen won the Texas Girls’ Invitational with an overall score of 2-under 214 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club’s Weiskopf Course on Monday. The victory marks Yen’s first with the Legends Junior Tour and her name will be etched on the Nez Muhleman Trophy.
“It feels really great to win,” said Yen, “I’ve worked really hard and am so thankful for everyone who helped support me all throughout.”
The Houston-native was the only player under par and posted rounds of 72-69-73. She started her final round with a birdie on No. 1 and No. 3, but dropped a shot with a bogey on No. 4. She made five straight pars to finish off her front nine and turned at 4-under overall. She made two bogeys in her final nine holes along with seven pars to get to 2-under and three strokes ahead of the field.
“Yesterday my putting was really good, but today was just consistent shots and I was focused on hitting fairways and greens,” said Yen following her win.
The Texas Girls’ Invitational is a 54-hole stroke play event for girls that are members of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is one of the top-ranked tournaments in Texas.
San Antonio’s Emma McMyler stayed with Yen throughout Monday’s Final Round as the two players were tied following 10 holes. McMyler made bogey on Nos. 12, 14 and 16 to fall to 1-over overall and into second place. She finished the week with eight birdies and one eagle in 54 holes.
Plano’s Summer Lee finished third in the Texas Girls’ Invitational at 3-over 219. Lee played with Yen and McMyler in the final group and posted a score of 3-over 76 on the last day. Alice Hodge of Larchmont, New York and Makenzie Niblett of Austin tied for fourth in the event at 4-over 220. Hodge was competing in her first Texas Girls’ Invitational, while Niblett is a two-time champion of this event.
Reigning LJT Girls Division Player of the Year Lauren Nguyen tied with Delaney Martin for sixth, while Meagan Winans finished eighth and Nicole Vivier, Jordan Salisbury and Mimi Burton tied for ninth.
Bentwater Yacht & Country Club hosted the Texas Girls’ Invitational for the fifth time in the tournament’s history. The event returned to the Weiskopf Course for the first time since 2016. The course was designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish and stretched out to 6,200 yards for the tournament.
The day started with a heavy fog in the area and play was delayed one hour. Once players got started the fog lingered throughout the morning, finally lifting around 12:00 pm. The sun started to peek out around 1:00 pm and the winds started to blow around 2:00 pm. All-in-all the weather was great throughout the two days.
With her win, Yen has earned an exemption into a match-play qualifier for the Volunteers of America Classic, which is a professional event held at Old American Golf Club in The Colony, Texas. Yen will be joined by 15 other exemption winners from various Texas Junior Golf Alliance events with the winner earning a spot in the LPGA event. This will be the first year of the match-play event and Yen is the first to qualify.
Next up for the Legends Junior Tour is the Texas Cup Invitational at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club’s Dye Course in McKinney. The Texas Cup Invitational is a boys-only event and the first Major Championship for the Boys in 2020.
To see all the scores from the first two rounds, click here. For more information on the Texas Girls’ Invitational, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes