Brandon Massey Wins Texas Cup Invitational
MCKINNEY – Brandon Massey of Fort Worth fired a second consecutive 2-under-par 69 to win his second Texas Cup Invitational by four strokes. The 2020 Texas Christian University commit battled all week at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club’s Dye Course to become the first two-time champion of the boys-only invitational.
“I haven’t won in a while,” Massey said. “I haven’t played in an individual tournament in a while so it’s huge for me.”
Massey, who won at Ridglea Country Club in 2017, displayed poise throughout the 54-hole championship. On Wednesday, the senior at Arlington Heights High School continued to demonstrate his composure.
After finding the left fescue on the par-5 third hole, Massey tried to punch his ball low under some overhanging branches. He didn’t get the ball high enough to clear the thick grass and only advanced it five yards. Massey punched his third shot down the fairway, played his approach shot to the green and two-putted for a bogey.
He made another bogey on the par-4 sixth and was four shots off the lead. However, as he had done all week, he didn’t waiver nor count himself out of the tournament. Massey strung together three consecutive birdies to card an opening nine 1-under-par 35.
He carried the momentum into the back nine and with a birdie on the par-3 12th was tied for the lead with Jacob Borow of Lake Jackson. Borow, who held a share of the 36-hole lead, struggled down the stretch and opened the door for the groups ahead of him.
Massey birdied the par-5 16th to take a one-shot lead with two holes to play. His tee shot on the par-3 17th was long, left and found the thick fescue over the green.
“I really wanted to make a par there and get out of there with a three,” Massey said. “I saw my lie and didn’t have much. I couldn’t go right at the flag so I took it a little left and hit it perfect.”
Massey pulled off an incredible pitch and found the putting surface 15 feet from the hole. He drained the par-putt to stay one-shot ahead of the field. After a routine par on the par-4 18th, Massey signed for his second 2-under 69 for the week and the low-round of the day. He finished at 3-over-par 216 for the championship.
The final two groups continued to struggle down the stretch. Borow and Ethan Fang of Plano carded 5-over-par 76s, while Byungho Lee of Houston posted a 3-over-par 74. In the end, Massey’s victory was a four-stroke margin.
“I struggled the first day, but you know we got it back on track,” Massey said.
On Monday, 25 mph gusts and rain showers in the morning made the playing conditions very difficult. He carded an opening round 7-over-par 78 and was tied for 26th.
Massey began the second round five shots off the lead, but he made a statement on moving day. He carded five birdies en route the lowest round of the day and climbed 21 spots up the leaderboard into a tie for fifth. Massey’s goal on Wednesday was to climb five spots and he did for his second Texas Cup Invitational title.
“I hope to carry this momentum throughout the season and into the summer,” Massey said.
He plans to compete in the 21st Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship in June as well as a few USGA qualifiers before attending TCU in August.
Borow, Fang and Lee finished in a tie for second at 7-over-par 220. Andrew Spaulding of Spring, Jackson Drake of Lubbock and Nicholas Hance of Irving finished tied fifth at 10-over-par 223. Trevor Mierl of Austin and Jackson Naeger of Keller finished tied eighth at 11-over-par 224, while Alejandro Gonzalez of Queretaro, Mexico, Frisco’s Shivam Patel and Songge Jiang and Garrett Endicott of San Antonio rounded out the top-10 at 12-over-par 225.
The Texas Cup Invitational plays Stonebridge Ranch CC’s Dye Course as a par 71. The normal par-5 13th hole is played as a long par-4 for the championship. The second round was played at 6,841 yards.
The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Stonebridge Ranch Country Club as well as our volunteers for their integral part in making the 2020 Texas Cup Invitational a memorable and success event. To view the Final Leaderboard, click here. For more information on the Texas Cup Invitational, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes