Salazar and Wagner Fire 69 and Lead Spring Preview
Lake Jackson, Texas – Jacob Salazar and Drew Wagner posted a 3-under par 69 in the first round of the Spring Preview and lead the Boys 15-18 Division at The Wilderness Golf Club. Trenton Mierl leads the Boys 14 & Under Division, while Zoe Slaughter is atop the Girls 12-18 Division.
Boys 15-18 Division
Girls 12-18 Division
Boys 14 & Under Division
Leaders: League City’s Salazar and Austin’s Wagner both posted scores of 3-under during the first round of the Spring Preview. Salazar, who started on the par-5 tenth, got off to a strong start with six pars and three birdies on 12, 14 and 17. After making the turn Salazar found trouble early when he made double bogey on the par-5 second. He quickly bounced back with three birdies in his next five holes before making bogey on the par-3 eight, getting him back to even for the side, and 3-under for the round. Wagner also started his round on the par-5 tenth and birdied his first three holes. He had one more birdie before the turn on the par-5 fifteenth to make the turn at 4-under. Wanger’s second nine got interesting when he started bogey, eagle, bogey. His eagle came on the par-5 second. He finished the round with a birdie on 7 and a double bogey on 8 to get him to 1-over on the side, 3-under for the round. Both are tied atop the leaderboard in the Boys 15-18 Division. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Zoe Slaughter leads by one after an opening round 2-under 70. The highlight of her round came when she made eagle on the par-5 second, and birdie on the par-4 fifth. After making the turn at 3-under, Zoe gave one back on the par-5 fifteenth when she made bogey. She finished the nine at 1-over and round at 2-under. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Mierl again finds himself in the lead after posting the only under-par round in the division. He got momentum going early when he made an eagle on the par-5 second before making a bogey on the par-4 third. Mierl regained his momentum before making the turn when he birdied the par-4 ninth to turn at 2-under. The momentum was carried into his second nine with birdies on 11, 12 and 14. He closed his round with a double bogey on the par-4 eighteenth to finish with a 3-under 69.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Houston’s Jack Gilbert sits alone in third at 2-under 70, while Houston’s Rex Hargrove is in solo fourth at 1-under 71. Three players are tied in fifth at even-par 72. In the Girls 12-18, Waco’s Eubin Shim and Missouri City’s Reagan Gray are tied for second and one stroke back at 1-under 71. Jacqueline Nguyen is in solo fourth at even-par 72, two strokes back of the leader. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Daniel Zou of The Woodlands is four shots back in solo second at 1-over 73. San Antonio’s Levi Keith and The Woodlands’ Austin Hofferkamp are tied for third at 2-over 74.
Course: This year’s Spring Preview is the first time The Wilderness Golf Club is hosting the Legends Junior Tour. Roughly 60 miles south of Houston, the course was designed by Jeffrey Brauer bringing golf and nature together. The course features a naturally rolling terrain nestled in the wetlands of Lake Jackson.
Weather: Saturday’s first round consisted of cloudy skies for a majority of the day with temperatures in the mid to high 70s. The sun shinned periodically in the afternoon with winds up to 13 mph.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern PGA and Houston Golf Association. The tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its foundation. Since its inception in 2005, the tour has provided funds to promote junior golf initiatives while conducting some of the state’s top junior championships including the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, Texas Junior Amateur and the Texas Girls’ Invitational as well as the Texas Cup Invitational.
What’s Next: The Final Round of the Spring Preview is scheduled for Sunday, March 15th with tee times going off the No. 1 and 10 tees. To see pairings for the final round, click here. For more information on the Spring Preview, visit the tournament homepage by clicking here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes