Gilbert, Slaughter and Mierl Win Spring Preview
Lake Jackson, Texas – Jack Gilbert of Houston wins the Spring Preview at The Wilderness Golf Club in playoff fashion with a birdie on the par-4 18th. Zoe Slaughter of Houston fired a 3-under 69 to win the Girls 12-18 Division by two strokes, while Trenton Mierl of Austin posts consecutive rounds under par to win the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Boys 15-18 Division
*Won on first playoff hole with birdie
Girls 12-18 Division
Boys 14 & Under Division
Leaders: The Boys 15-18 Division went to a sudden death playoff that ended on the first playoff hole, the par-4 18th, when Gilbert made birdie to claim his first LJT Boys 15-18 Division win. He made five birdies with one lone bogey on Sunday bringing his total up to eight birdies and two bogeys over 36 holes. After leading the Girls 12-18 Division by one stroke, Slaughter found herself down one stroke with three holes to play. As she did all weekend, she remained calm and steady shooting 1-under during her final three holes to win. With a 1-under 71 in the final round, Mierl posted consecutive rounds under par to win the Boys 14 & Under Division by 3 strokes and his win of the 2020 season. He carded four birdies during his final round, three of which came on his second nine.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Austin’s Drew Wagner came up one putt short when he made par on the first playoff hole. Wagner posted consecutive rounds of 3-under 69 for the championship finishing at 6-under overall. League City’s Jacob Salazar finished in solo third after shooting even-par 72 on Sunday and finishing at 3-under-par. Houston’s Tyler Gardner finished fourth, while Lake Jackson’s own Jacob Borow finished fifth. Shreveport’s Burke Alford and Richardson’s Luke Eckholm tied for sixth and Kingwood’s Brooks Pawlak finished solo eighth.
In the Girls 12-18 Division, Jacqueline Nguyen of Houston and Eubin Shim of Waco finished tied for second at 3-under-par 141. Reagan Gray of Missouri City finished fourth at even-par total, while Amelia Guo rounded out the top-5 at 3-over-par.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Daniel Zou of The Woodlands carded rounds of 73-70 to finish second and three shots back of Mierl at 1-under-par 143. The Woodlands’ Austin Hofferkamp finished third, while San Antonio’s Levi Keith finished fourth. Rhett O’Rear of Plano and Bowen Ballis of Shenandoah finished tied for fifth.
Course: This year’s Spring Preview is the first time The Wilderness Golf Club is hosting the Legends Junior Tour. Roughly 60 miles south of Houston, the course was designed by Jeffrey Brauer bringing golf and nature together. The course features a naturally rolling terrain nestled in the wetlands of Lake Jackson.
Weather: Sunday’s final round started of overcast with light rain and temperatures in the low 70s. The sun got up in the skies for a beautiful afternoon with temperatures in the low 80s and wind gusts up to 12 mph.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern PGA and Houston Golf Association. The tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its foundation. Since its inception in 2005, the tour has provided funds to promote junior golf initiatives while conducting some of the state’s top junior championships including the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, Texas Junior Amateur and the Texas Girls’ Invitational as well as the Texas Cup Invitational.
What’s Next: The Bluebonnet Championship is the next stop for the Legends Junior Tour in Brownwood. Brownwood Country Club has hosted the Bluebonnet Championship since the tour took it over in 2006. The championship will be conducted May 2-3.
For more information on the Spring Preview, visit the tournament homepage by clicking here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes