TGA Foundation Finding New Ways to Grow the Game
The Texas Golf Association Foundation strives to grow the game through new initiatives every year. In 2020, the TGA Foundation launched Youth on Course in the San Antonio area. The program gives juniors access to play golf for $5 or less at eight courses in San Antonio.
“We love this program because it gives junior golfers a chance to take their skills from The First Tee, LPGA*USGA Girls Golf and more junior programs to the course and continue to learn the game,” TGA Foundation Managing Director Kelly Kilgo said. “Youth on Course helps to make golf a big part of their lives because now they can go play fantastic courses for no more than a $5 green fee.”
The eight courses in San Antonio participating in this year’s Youth of Course program are Mission Del Lago, Riverside, Willow Springs, Brackenridge Park, Olmos Basin, Northern Hills Golf Club, Cedar Creek and San Pedro Driving Range.
Founded in 2006 by the Northern California Golf Association, Youth on Course began as way to increase the accessibility and affordability of golf for the area’s youth. Within five years, the program was thriving and expanded as a nationwide initiative. Today, the 501(c)3 organization partners with state and regional golf associations across the country. Youth on Course is currently offered in 34 regions and has subsidized more than 900,000 rounds of golf.
“Investing in the future and health of the game is exactly what the TGA is built for and Youth on Course allows us to accomplish this with juniors, families and golf facilities,” TGA Executive Director Stacy Dennis said. “Youth on Course provides juniors with an opportunity to take the next step from skill development programs to access on a golf course. It creates relationships between juniors, their parents and local golf facilities. This program creates a pipeline of juniors that can continue to build confidence on the golf course and become lifelong players.”
Youth on Course memberships are $20 a year. The membership gives access to the eight courses in San Antonio as well as internships, caddie program and scholarships. The program is designed for youth ages 6-18 and there are zero restrictions on when to join.
To learn more about Youth on Course, click here.
The TGA Foundation started its own initiative in 2016. The TGA Works Program gives high schoolers who are interested in working in the golf industry opportunities to intern at various Member Clubs across the state. TGA Works is a paid summer internship and offers invaluable lessons on and off the golf course.
“Throughout the TGA Works internship, I learned the ins and outs of the golf business,” said Cade Cook, who worked at Indian Creek Golf Club in Carrollton last summer. “The internship opened my mind to so many new things and persuaded me toward a career in the golf business even more.”
The program strives to introduce motivated youth to respected careers in the golf industry. It helps clubs invest in their local communities and grow the game. Member Clubs, who offer internships, will receive up to $3,000 in grant funding to offset intern wages.
Along with Indian Creek Golf Club, Quail Valley Golf Course in Missouri City and Mira Vista Country Club in Fort Worth had TGA Works interns last summer. Responsibilities ranged from tournament operations, golf course agronomy, merchandise management, outside services and golf instruction.
To apply for a TGA Works internship, click here. Application deadline is May 15.
ABOUT THE TGA FOUNDATION: The charitable arm of the TGA, is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that was established to make certain that golf in Texas continues to grow and prosper. It achieves this mission through the financial and administrative support of existing grass-roots junior golf development programs, and in creating new avenues for deserving and underserved youth to learn some of life’s most important lessons through their exposure to the game of golf. By ensuring that deserving young people from every walk-of-life have the opportunity to be exposed to this great game and the accompanying valuable life lessons to be learned, as well as discovering the many possible career opportunities surrounding the sport, the TGA Foundation expects that golf in the Lone Star State will be in good hands for generations to come. To learn more about the TGA Foundation, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes