Daniel Zou Leads Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS – Daniel Zou of The Woodlands leads the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship by three strokes following an opening round 7-under-par 64 at Lakewood Country Club.
Zou earned his exemption into this year’s field with an Southern Texas PGA win two weeks ago. On Tuesday, the 14-year-old proved he deserved his spot. He birdied four of his first six holes and never looked back during his Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship debut. The high school freshman closed out his front nine with a birdie on the par-5 ninth to post a 5-under 31 at the turn.
“On the second hole, things started picking up for me,” Zou said. “My day started getting better as my putting started getting better. Putting kind of carried my round today.”
He didn’t slow down on the back nine. Zou birdied the par-4 10th, and despite a bogey on the par-3 12th, he pulled off something special just two holes later.
The par-3 14th hole was playing 203 yards with a gentle breeze off the left. Zou pulled a 5-iron with plans to find the center of the green. He striped it. The ball bounced once just below the hole and trickled in for his third career hole-in-one.
“I was just trying to go up there and make par,” Zou said. “That is a really tough hole with bunkers on both sides. That hole-in-one was just the cherry on top today.”
Zou came into this year’s championship with confidence. He won the 2020 LJT Spring Preview in early March at The Wilderness Golf Club, and he plans to stick with his game plan all week.
“I just want to play like it’s any other day,” Zou said. “I don’t want to play with a score in my head. I just want to play like it’s the first round again and reset.”
J. Holland Humphries, the No. 1-ranked junior golfer in the state of Texas, sits in solo second. He began his opening round stress-free. The 2021 Southern Methodist University commit carded back-to-back birdies on the par-4 third and par-5 fourth holes. He closed out a bogey-free front nine with two more birdies on the par-4 eighth and par-5 ninth to turn at 4-under 32.
“My ball-striking was really good,” Humphries said. “I only missed one fairway and hit every green.”
His consistent play continued the back nine. Despite dropping a shot on the par-3 14th, the Westlake High School senior bounced back with a birdie on the par-5 17th and closed out his round with a routine par to post 4-under 67.
“It’s awesome to just see everybody again,” Humphries said. “State got canceled, so it is kind of like our state championship.”
Sean-Karl Dobson of Austin is third after a 3-under 68, while Keaton Vo of Austin is fourth after a 2-under 69.
The 2019 Texas Junior Amateur Champion Zach Heffernan of Boerne, Andrew Spaulding of Spring, Jase Summy of Keller, Michael Heidelbaugh of Dallas, Vishnu Sadagopan of Pearland, Cole Sherwood of Austin, Preston Stout of Richardson and Evan Vo of Austin are all tied for fifth place at 1-under par.
Ranked as one of the strongest fields in the championship’s history, Round 1 at Lakewood CC proved to be a special day for everyone involved. It was the first competitive round hosted by the LJT since early March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“We’re excited to get back to playing golf and getting a little sense of normalcy,” Tournament Director Kevin Porter said. “With that though, there comes some limitations in keeping all involved safe. The LJT has worked hard to limit the amount of touch points among all the players, staff, volunteers and spectators.”
Players, spectators and volunteers were required to follow specific health and safety guidelines throughout the day. The LJT provided hand sanitizer at water coolers, starting tees and scoring tents. Players were not allowed to touch the flagsticks and bunker rakes were removed from the golf course. The driving range and practice putting green were monitored and limited to a specific number of players. Spectators were asked to practice social distancing throughout the golf course and the clubhouse remained closed to the public.
“It’s just a wonderful feeling to be back on the golf course,” said Jim Brown, former TGA President and longtime LJT Volunteer. “It’s great seeing all the people and enjoying the game that we all love.”
Lakewood CC is playing host to the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship for the nineteenth time. The field will be cut to the top 39 and ties following Round 2 on Wednesday.
For more information on this year’s championship and full leaderboard, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes