Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship Returns to Brookhaven Country Club
FARMERS BRANCH – Brookhaven Country Club’s Masters Course is set to host the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship for the second consecutive year. The field of 120 of the top junior golfers in Texas will take on the par-72 layout from June 29-30.
“We’re excited to be coming back to Brookhaven Country Club for this year’s Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship,” LJT Tournament Coordinator Adam Schulte said. “The Masters Course is a true test of golf and we look forward to a great event.”
The Masters Course is one of three championship courses at Brookhaven Country Club. It was built in 1959 and designed by Press Maxwell with the help of one of golf’s legendary icons, the great Byron Nelson. In the early 1990s, Jeff Brauer renovated the track creating tight landing areas, and now boasts a set of bent-grass greens from work done in 2002. The Masters Course is the most difficult test at the club, and Director of Golf Jeff Anderson is excited for the opportunity to host some of the top juniors in the state.
“We are honored to be a part of the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship,” Anderson said. “The Legends Junior Tour, Texas Golf Association and its Foundation have made a tremendous stride in promoting the game and giving Juniors the opportunity to compete.”
Lanny Wadkins won the 1970 U.S. Amateur Championship and turned professional the following year. He went on to win the 1977 PGA Championship at Pebble Beach in a three-hole sudden-death playoff against Gene Littler. Wadkins also won The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass in 1979. He was a perennial member of the U.S. Ryder Cup team, playing on eight teams and winning 20 matches and 21.5 points. Wadkins was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2009.
Michael Heidelbaugh won last year’s championship in the Boys 15-18 Division. Heidelbaugh, a 2020 Texas A&M commit, carded rounds of 70-71 to post 3-under for the championship and two strokes ahead of Cedar Park’s Hanseung Chang. Remington Isaac of Montgomery won the Girls 12-18 Division at 4-over-par 148 overall, while Driftwood’s Grant Yerger defended his 2018 title and won the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Other past champions include Sam Rosenberg, Blaine Hale Jr., Matthew Zampello, Travis McInroe, Ryan Grider, Pierceson Coody, Grace Do, Amber Wang and Callie Scheffler.
The LJT staff continues to monitor the health and safety guidelines from government officials in regards to the Covid-19 pandemic. Following new strict health guidelines, the LJT has successfully managed two safe and competitive championships in June (the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship and Flodder Financial Shootout). The LJT is committed to another safe and successful week at Brookhaven Country Club.
In total, seven events have been played this season. With eight tournaments remaining on the 2020 calendar, the race for the LJT Player of the Year is starting to heat up. Ethan Fang leads the Boys 15-18 Division, Trent Mierl leads the Boys 14 & Under Division and Summer Lee leads the Girls 12-18 Division. The Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship will offer player of the year points to the top half of each division. For full LJT Player of the Year standings, click here.
Along with LJT Player of the Year Points, players are competing for exemptions into LJT Invitational events. The winner of the Boys 15-18 Division will earn an exemption into the George Hannon Junior Invitational and the 2021 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship. The top three finishers will earn an exemption into this year’s Texas Junior Amateur. In the Girls 12-18 Division, the champion will earn a spot in the George Hannon Junior Invitational, while the top three will earn an exemption into the 2021 Texas Girls’ Invitational.
For more information about the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes