Top Seeds Tumble at 99th Women’s Texas Amateur
AUSTIN – Wednesday morning’s Round of 32 in the Championship Match Play Bracket of the 99th Women’s Texas Amateur brought a host of major upsets. Half of the top-10 seeded competitors made early exits from the University of Texas Golf Club after the first round of match play.
It started right off the bat, too, as St. Mary’s University sophomore Estelle Beck, the No. 32 seed, knocked off the No. 1 seed and Qualifying Round Medalist, Baylor senior Gurleen Kaur, 4 and 2. Beck and Kaur traded 1-up leads during the first nine holes. On the par-3 12th, Beck squared the match when Kaur made a bogey.
From there, Beck’s putter caught on fire. She rolled in a 20-footer for birdie on No. 13 to go 1 up. She eased in a two-putt par on the 14th hole to go 2 up. Beck then drained a 25-foot birdie on the long par-4 15th to go 3 up.
“I just went into today thinking I had nothing to lose,” said Beck, who had to survive a four-person playoff on Tuesday to sneak into the Championship Match Play Bracket. “I just wanted to do my best, and I really did. I’ve never really done this well under pressure before. It’s a major point in my life where I’m feeling very comfortable and confident now.”
That was more than evident on the next hole. After her tee shot, 55 feet stood between Beck’s ball and the flagstick. It was an uphill putt for birdie that broke severely from right to left. She visualized her ball tracking to the hole and made her stroke. A few seconds later, her ball dove into the hole, a birdie bomb that ended the match and took down the No. 1-seeded Kaur.
“I didn’t think I was going to make it,” Beck said. “I just hit the putt and stood there with my hand over my mouth, thinking, ‘Holy…’ Then I heard my aunt and my mom scream. It was really awesome.”
Normally, the 32nd-seeded player taking down the overall No. 1 seed is a huge story. Wednesday at UT Golf Club, it was just the beginning. Julia Gregg, the Arkansas sophomore who was the runner-up at the 97th Women’s Texas Amateur in 2018, earned the No. 31 seed on Tuesday in Qualifying. Like Beck, Gregg had to fight her way into the Championship Match Play Bracket through a playoff.
Gregg then dispatched the second-seeded Faith Delagarza, 2 and 1. Gregg and Delagarza, a Dallas Baptist University sophomore, took turns leading their match for most of the day. Gregg took a 1-up lead with a birdie on the par-4 13th and ended the match with another birdie on the par-4 17th.
Continuing the morning’s trend, Fourth-seeded Hailee Cooper, a Texas junior playing on her team’s home course, lost a heartbreaker in 20 holes to 29th-seeded Hunter Nugent, a University of Indianapolis sophomore.
Also going down in the Round of 32 were eighth-seeded Hannah Holzmann and No. 9 seed Jennie Park. Holzmann, a junior at the University of Texas-San Antonio, fell 2 and 1 to 25th-seeded Hailey Jones, the Oklahoma State sophomore and three-time Legends Junior Tour Player of Year. Park, a Texas Christian University sophomore, suffered a 3-and-2 loss to University of Alabama senior Kenzie Wright to cap off the morning session of higher-seeded players prevailing.
In the afternoon, Gregg backed up her early victory with another upset in the Round of 16. The former Prestonwood Christian Academy standout defeated No. 15 seed and University of Tennessee junior Mikayla Bardwell, 1 up.
Beck said the day’s results underscores the strength of the field and fickle nature of match play golf.
“It shows that everyone has their days, and this course is extremely challenging,” said Beck, who suffered a 4-and-3 defeat in the Round of 16 to University of Kentucky sophomore Kelsey Wylie. “Everyone in this tournament is a great player. There is a very high skill level here.”
After the topsy-turvy morning Round of 32, form mostly held in the afternoon’s Round of 16. No. 3 seed Stanford freshman Sadie Englemann needed 21 holes to defeat Texas A&M senior Ava Schwienteck, the No. 14 seed. Englemann is the highest-seeded player remaining in the championship.
No. 5 seed Makenzie Niblett, an incoming freshman at Texas A&M, also advanced to the Quarterfinals, as did sixth-seeded Bentley Cotton, an incoming Texas freshman and No. 7 seed Kennedy Pedigo, a senior at Southern Methodist University.
Jones, the former LJT standout, joins Gregg as the two highest-seeded players to make it into the Quarterfinals. The 25th-seeded Jones outlasted Wright, the Alabama senior, in 20 holes to advance.
Thursday morning bring the Quarterfinals, which starts at 7:30 a.m. Also on Thursday morning, the four additional flights will play their Semifinals matches. In the afternoon, the Championship Bracket will play their Semifinals matches. For more information on the 99th Women’s Texas Amateur, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes