JT Pittman Wins 92nd West Texas Amateur
Briefly: JT Pittman of Monahans won the 92nd West Texas Amateur after a final round 2-under-par 70 at Bentwood Country Club. The Midland College sophomore finished at 8-under overall and two strokes better than the field. Lewis Stephenson of Burleson won the Senior Division by two strokes after firing a 6-under 66 in the final round. Doug Hopton-Jones of Mansfield won the Super Senior Division by three strokes after rounds of 75-73-73.
1) JT Pittman Monahans 68-70-70 | 208
2) Jansen Smith San Angelo 74-69-67 | 210
3) Michael Heidelbaugh Dallas 72-67-73 | 212
T4) Robert Johnson Abilene 71-71-72 | 214
T4) Collin Clark Midlothian 66-76-72 | 214
T4) Bryce Waters Midland 71-73-70 | 214
T7) Kevin Liberto Cypress 70-75-70 | 215
T7) Jack Anderson Round Rock 72-70-73 | 215
T7) Will Adams Odessa 70-77-68 | 215
Golf Course: Founded in 1978, Bentwood Country Club is the centerpiece of a master-planned community located near the shores of Lake Nasworthy. Designed by Billy Martindale and Jeffery Blume, the golf course has all the elements of a classic parkland layout, including narrow fairways, numerous water hazards, prominent bunkering and large, undulating green complexes. When the wind blows, as it frequently does, Bentwood Country Club provides a stern challenge for even the most accomplished players. Final Round was contested at 7,051 yards.
Weather: The temperature reached 95 degrees with steady winds at 8 mph out of the south.
Winner’s Info: Pittman fired a 2-under 70 in the final round to post 8-under for the championship and win by two strokes. The Midland College sophomore remained at the top of the leaderboard throughout the entirety of the championship and carded red numbers in all three of his rounds. Although Smith gave it a good run carding a 5-under-par 67 in his final round, Pittman maintained his composure and never lost the lead. He carded five birdies and fired 1-under-par 35s on each nine in his final round. This is Pittman’s first West Texas Amateur win.
“I really tried not to think about anybody else, I just tried to just play the golf course one shot at a time and make as many birdies as I could,” Pittman said. “A lot of great players have played against me this week, hats off to them, they all played great, but I am glad I got the win.”
Lewis Stephenson won the Senior Division after two rounds in red figures. Stephenson was seven shots behind the leader to start the final round. He rolled in nine birdies on his way to a stellar 6-under 66. This was Stephenson’s first West Texas Amateur title. He also won the 2018 Texas Senior Amateur.
Doug Hopton-Jones won the Super-Senior Division by three strokes and at 5-over 221. The 2019 defending champion adds this win to his 2019 and 2002 West Texas Amateur titles.
In Contention: Jansen Smith of San Angelo posted a 6-under 210 for the championship and finished solo second. Michael Heidelbaugh of Dallas finished at 4-under 212 to take third. Robert Johnson of Abilene, Collin Clark of Midlothian and Bryce Waters of Midland tied fourth at 2-under 214.
What’s Next: The 2020 season continues with the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play at Willow Brook Country Club in Tyler July 23-26. You can view the entire Texas Golf Association calendar here.
More Info: The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Bentwood Country Club as well as our volunteers for their integral part in making the 92nd West Texas Amateur a memorable and successful event. For more information on the West Texas Amateur, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes