Zach Heffernan and Mimi Burton Lead Texas Junior Amateur
HORSESHOE BAY – Zach Heffernan of Boerne fires an opening round 5-under-par 66 at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Ram Rock Golf Course. The defending champion posted the only bogey-free round of the day and leads the field by one stroke. Austin’s Mimi Burton leads the Girls Division following a 2-under-par 70. The 15-year-old holds a two-stroke lead heading into Tuesday’s second round at Apple Rock.
Heffernan, a 2021 Baylor University commit, entered this week trying to become the first back-to-back Texas Junior Amateur champion since Hunter Haas in 1994-95. Following a steady first round, he finds himself atop the leaderboard. Heffernan, who won last year at The Clubs of Kingwood’s Forrest Course, carded a birdied on the par-4 first hole to set the tone early in Round 1. After an eagle on the par-5 seventh, he turned in 3-under 33. He didn’t make any mistakes on the back nine either. The 2019 Texas Junior Amateur champion carded two more birdies and coasted to a solid 5-under 66.
“I was just trying to do the same thing as last year,” Heffernan said. “I knew this golf course was pretty difficult, so as long as I keep it in the fairway. The greens are pretty slow, but pretty pure, so I knew I could get a bunch of putts to fall.”
Heffernan leads a crowded leaderboard with seven players within four shots of the lead. Hanseung Chang of Cedar Park fired a 4-under-par 67 and is solo second. Drew Wagner of Austin sits in third at 2-under, while the 2019 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Champion Gaven Lane of Argyle, Evan Vo of Austin, Christian Clark of Dallas as well as Matthew and Andrew Spaulding of Spring are tied fourth after rounds of 1-under-par 70.
In the Girls Division, Burton started her opening round slow. The sophomore at Vandegrift High School made consecutive bogeys on the par-5 fourth and par-4 fifth. She was 2-over through her first five holes. However, she stayed committed to her game plan and played her closing 13 holes in 4-under par.
“It was kind of a shaky start,” Burton said. “I only hit one green in the first six holes. But I just putted really well and chipped really well, so I got in the hole.”
Burton played in the 2018 Texas Junior Amateur in the Girls 14 & Under Division. After missing last year’s championship due to injury, she came into this year’s tournament with a few personal goals.
“I know there are a lot of really good girls in the field this week,” Burton said. “So I want to finish well and hopefully at the top. I am excited to see the rest of the week and how it goes.”
Avery Zweig of McKinney carded an even-par 72 and trails Burton by two strokes. Alexandria Habimana of Frisco is solo third after a 1-over-par 73. Nitisha Manikandesh of Plano, Lauren Nguyen of Katy, Farah O’Keefe of Austin and Tillie Claggett of The Woodlands are tied fourth following rounds of 2-over-par 74.
Corbin Null of Woodway carded a 2-under-par 70 and leads the Boys 14 & Under Division by two strokes. Charlie Wylie of Houston, Trenton Mierl of Austin, Reese Roberts of Dallas and Mitchell Maier of Richmond are tied second at even par.
In the Girls 14 & Under Division, Addison Ko of Plano and Sidney Robertson of Chandler carded rounds of 2-over-par 74 at Apple Rock. Ko and Robertson lead the field by three strokes. Alyssa Kurji is solo third after a 5-over-par 77.
Players, spectators and volunteers were required to follow specific health and safety guidelines throughout the day. The LJT provided hand sanitizer at water coolers, starting tees and scoring areas. Players were not allowed to touch the flagsticks and bunker rakes were removed from the golf course. The driving range and practice putting green were monitored and limited to a specific number of players. Players and spectators were asked to practice social distancing throughout the golf course and practice facilities.
Horseshoe Bay Resort is hosting the Texas Junior Amateur for the ninth time in the last 11 years. On Tuesday, the LJT will crown the Boys 14 & Under and Girls 14 & Under champions, as well as cut to the Boys Division field to low-45 and ties and the Girls Division field to low-30 and ties. The Boys and Girls Division’s final round will be played on Wednesday.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes