111th Texas Amateur Set for Aug. 6-9
The 111th Texas Amateur will be contested Aug. 6-9 at Boot Ranch in Fredericksburg. This year’s championship was originally slated for June but was rescheduled due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Conducted by the Texas Golf Association since 1906, the championship brings together the state’s most accomplished amateur players to compete for the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy.
“We are incredibly thankful to everyone at Boot Ranch for their flexibility and support as we worked through the logistics of the date change,” said Ian Davis, TGA Tournament Director. “It is a privilege to be able to conduct this edition of the Texas Amateur on one of the state’s most acclaimed courses, which undoubtedly will identify a worthy champion.”
This will be the first Texas Amateur and second TGA major held at Boot Ranch. Previously the club was the site of the 2010 Texas Mid-Amateur, won by Mike Minicucci of Austin.
“Boot Ranch’s ownership, members and staff are excited to host the 111th Texas Amateur,” said Alex Rhyne, Head Golf Professional at Boot Ranch. “It is our honor to host one of Texas’ oldest traditions. The entire Boot Ranch family is committed to providing a memorable experience during the Championship.”
Opened for play in 2006, Boot Ranch was designed by PGA Tour great and 2004 U.S. Ryder Cup captain Hal Sutton. The 7,155-yard, par-72 layout, which will play to a par-71 for the Texas Amateur, meanders through groves of trees, natural water features and along the ridges and valleys of the scenic Texas Hill Country.
Sutton’s imaginative routing challenges players at every turn, with a variety of long and short holes, doglegs, sloping fairways, swirling winds and undulating green complexes. It is a demanding, but fair test of a golfer’s entire skill set that places a premium on intelligent course management and confident shot-making. Since its debut, Boot Ranch has garnered rave reviews and has consistently has been ranked as one of the best courses in Texas by national and state golf publications.
With a $2 million renovation completed in 2017 that included reconstruction of all bunkers and regrassing of all greens with TifEagle Bermuda, Boot Ranch will be in superb condition when the Lone Star State’s foremost amateur golfers gather in Fredericksburg.
The starting field for the 111th Texas Amateur will include 132 players, who earned entry into the championship through an exemption category or 18-hole sectional qualifying at one of 12 sites across the state from June 29 – Aug. 3.
Format for the championship is 72 holes individual stoke play. All contestants will play 18 holes Aug. 6-7. After 36 holes the field will be cut to the low 54 players and ties heading into the final two rounds on Saturday and Sunday.
At the 110th Texas Amateur, played on the Blue Course at Dallas Athletic Club, Ryan Grider of Lewisville was declared the champion after lightning and thunderstorms washed out the final round. The 20-year-old junior at Baylor University captured the title with a 54-hole total of 11-under-par 205. Addison’s Chris Wheeler took second place at 9-under 207. Scott Abbott of Dallas and Arlington’s Paul Gonzalez shared third place at 5-under 211. Katy’s Michael Cotton, who won the 106th Texas Amateur in 2015, took fifth place at 4-under 212.
Once the action gets under way from the 111th Texas Amateur at Boot Ranch, log on to txga.org for live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as starting times and pairings.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes