Serena Shah Leads a Weather-Suspended Women’s Stroke Play
Briefly: Round 2 of the Women’s Stroke Play Championship was suspended Friday afternoon due to severe weather and unplayable course conditions. Through 14 holes, Serena Shah of Carrollton leads the Championship Division after being even par through 14 holes. She carded 2 birdies and has 4 holes left to play. Olive Henry of Ennis remains atop of the leaderboard of the Flights Division. She is 7-over-par through nine holes in the second round.
1) Serena Shah Carrollton +4 (14)
T2) Nicole Vivier Austin +6 (14)
T2) Jennie Park Carrollton +6 (12)
4) Mina Hardin Fort Worth +9 (13)
T5) Amelia McKee Spring +10 (14)
T5) Brooke Nolte Melissa +10 (14)
T5) Madison Freeman Spring +10 (14)
T5) Hailey Jones Dallas +10 (12)
T5) Zoe Paige Slaughter Houston +10 (12)
Golf Course: Nestled in the tall pines of East Texas, Crown Colony Country Club originally opened for play in 1979. The beautiful and challenging layout located in Lufkin is a Robert von Hagge and Bruce Devlin design that has been rated by Golfweek as one of the top destination golf courses in Texas. The 18-hole championship golf course has played host to eight TGA Major Championships (the 1982 and 1988 Texas Amateur, 1989 and 2007 Women’s Texas Amateur, 1994 Texas Mid-Amateur, 1983 Texas Senior Amateur and the 2012 and 2017 Texas Four-Ball). Now, it adds the Women’s Stroke Play Championship to its decorated history. Round 2 is being contested at 6,086 yards for the Championship Division.
Weather: Up until 1:30 p.m., the temperature reached 90 degrees with winds out of the southwest reaching gusts of 26 mph. Play was suspended at 1:30 p.m. due to lightning in the area. Play for the day was suspended at 5:30 p.m. due to unplayable conditions. Round 2 will resume Saturday morning.
In Contention: Serena Shah of Carrollton followed her 4-over 76 in Round 1 with an even par through 14 holes in Round 2. The Southern Methodist University Junior started strong with a 1-under 35 on the front nine and sits at 1-under on the back nine with four holes left to play.
In the Championship Division, Nicole Vivier of Austin through 14 holes and Jennie Park of Carrollton through 12 holes sit tied second at 6-over. Mina Hardin of Fort Worth sits solo fourth at 9-over through 13 holes. With less than 9 holes remaining on the back side, Amelia McKee of Spring, Brooke Nolte of Melissa, Madison Freeman of Spring, Hailey Jones of Dallas and Zoe Paige Slaughter of Houston sit tied fifth at 10-over.
In the Flights Division, Nancy Beck of Dallas sits solo second at 16-over through nine holes. Rosalinda Adams of Spring sits solo third at 17-over through nine holes. Karen Northcutt of The Woodlands sits solo fourth at 18-over through nine holes. Jan Rapp of Dallas sits solo fifth through eight holes at 23-over.
What’s Next: Round 2 will resume for players in the Championship Division at 8:00 a.m. and at 8:45 a.m. for players in the Flights Division. Final Round tee times start Saturday at 9:00 a.m. off No. 1 tee at Crown Colony Country Club.
More Info: For more information on the 2020 Women’s Stroke Play Championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes