Serena Shah Wins Women’s Stroke Play Championship
Briefly: Serena Shah of Carrollton won the Women’s Stroke Play Championship after a final round 5-over-par 77 at Crown Colony Country Club. The Southern Methodist University junior finished at 8-over overall and one stroke better than the field. Nancy Beck of Dallas and Olive Henry of Ennis are co-champions for the First Flight, winning the flight by four strokes. Beck carded a 12-over 84 and Henry carded a 15-over 87 in the final round. Xuesong Hollier of Tomball won the Second Flight by nine strokes after rounds of 94-93-87.
1) Serena Shah Carrollton 76-71-77 | 224
2) Zoe Paige Slaughter Houston 75-77-73 | 225
3) Jennie Park Carrollton 76-74-77 | 227
4) Nicole Vivier Austin 76-76-78 | 230
5) Brooke Nolte Melissa 80-74-77 | 231
T6) Amelia McKee Spring 77-78-77 | 232
T6) Madison Freeman Spring 76-80-76 | 232
T6) Hailey Jones Dallas 75-79-78 | 232
Golf Course: Nestled in the tall pines of East Texas, Crown Colony Country Club originally opened for play in 1979. The beautiful and challenging layout located in Lufkin is a Robert von Hagge and Bruce Devlin design that has been rated by Golfweek as one of the top destination golf courses in Texas. The 18-hole championship golf course has played host to eight TGA Major Championships (the 1982 and 1988 Texas Amateur, 1989 and 2007 Women’s Texas Amateur, 1994 Texas Mid-Amateur, 1983 Texas Senior Amateur and the 2012 and 2017 Texas Four-Ball). Now, it adds the Women’s Stroke Play Championship to its decorated history. The Final Round was contested at 6,052 yards for the Championship Division.
Weather: The temperature reached 89 degrees with steady winds at 5 mph out of the northwest.
Winner’s Info: Shah fired a 5-over 77 in the final round to post 8-over for the championship and win by one stroke. The Southern Methodist University junior remained near the top of the leaderboard throughout the entirety of the championship and found the number one spot late in the second round. Although Zoe Paige Slaughter gave it a good run carding a 1-over-par 72 in her final round, Shah maintained her composure and stuck to her game plan of keeping it simple. This is Shah’s first Women’s Stroke Play Championship win.
“This is a really tough course and it’s tight off the fairway, so just going in with the same mentality I did from the practice round to the first round to the second round was just to keep things simple,” Shah said. “Hit the fairway, hit the green and two putt from there.”
Shah completed the last four holes of her second round on Saturday morning. Not too long after that, she kicked off her Final Round at 10:24 a.m. She carded a 2-over 38 on the front nine and started off with three bogeys at the turn. Although the back side didn’t start as planned, she finished her round strong with birdie-par-par.
“Everything was going pretty well on the front nine and then on the back nine I had a little trouble,” Shah said. “I had a couple bogeys on 10, 11 and 12 and then I think the real turning point was on 16 where I had a birdie putt that I made from 8 feet and that just kind of helped with my momentum going into the last 2 holes. I think that really helped just finish off the last three holes in a good style.”
In Contention: Zoe Paige Slaughter of Houston posted a 9-over 224 for the championship and finished solo second. Jennie Park of Carrollton finished at 11-over to take third. Nicole Vivier of Austin carded a 14-over 230 to take fourth. Brooke Nolte finished at 15-over 231 to take solo fifth. Three players in the Championship Division tied sixth at 16-over 232.
What’s Next: The 2020 season continues with the Women’s Four-Ball at Midland Country Club in Midland August 10-11. You can view the entire Texas Golf Association calendar here.
More Info: The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Crown Colony Country Club as well as our volunteers for their integral part in making the Women’s Stroke Play Championship a memorable and successful event. For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play Championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes