Trey Bosco Wins 111th Texas Amateur
FREDERICKSBURG – Trey Bosco won the 111th Texas Amateur late Sunday afternoon after carding a final round 2-under-par 69 at Boot Ranch Golf Club. The 18-year-old from Austin captures the victory with a 72-hole total of 5-under 279.
Sunday at Boot Ranch played much like the third round. Fast and firm greens complemented by swirling gusts made the Hal Sutton-designed championship golf course challenging yet again. Playing in the final group, Bosco showed little nerves from the outset. He split the fairway with his opening drive on No. 1, found the putting surface and drained an 18-foot birdie putt. He quickly pulled within one shot of the 54-hole leader Caleb Hicks.
Bosco, Hicks and Andres Acevedo, the third player of the final group, battled throughout the front nine. By the time they made the turn, all three players were over par for the round. The leaderboard was stacked and 10 players were within two shots of the lead.
Bosco, who begins his collegiate golf career at Baylor this fall, showed poise on his closing nine. He birdied the par-5 11th, but followed it with a bogey on the par-3 12th. After pars on holes 13 and 14, he knew he needed to make a charge.
“Coming down to 15, 16, 17, I was like, OK, might need to turn on the jets a little bit,” Bosco said. “I made a bomb on 15, and then from there I just had this tunnel vision to where all the putts just seemed to drop.”
He birdied the long par-5 16th and par-3 17th for three consecutive and led the field by two shots with one hole to play. Bosco finished with a routine par to clinch the biggest amateur title in his young golf career.
“It’s still kind of sinking in, but it means the world,” Bosco said. “I’ve had kind of a rough summer with the whole quarantine and all that stuff, so to get this before I go off to college is a dream come true for sure.”
Bosco is the second straight Bear to hoist the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy. Ryan Grider, a redshirt junior at Baylor, won last year at Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue Course. Bosco’s name will also be etched alongside the likes of Ben Crenshaw, Charles Coody, Mark Brooks, Scott Verplank and a host of other Texas golf legends who have won the Texas Amateur.
“Being a Texas Am Champion, you get to go down in the record books,” Bosco said. “It brings me a lot of confidence. It means that I can play with all these guys and I can compete with all the top college players.”
Finishing runner-up was Hicks, who led the field through 54 holes. The UT Arlington junior struggled on the front side en route to a 4-over 39. However, he didn’t let up his fight. Hicks carded a bogey-free 3-under 33 on the back nine including a birdie on the 72nd hole to finish just one-shot off Bosco’s 5-under.
Four players shared third place at 2-under 282. Tommy Morrison, a 2023 University of Texas commit, fired the low round of the day. The 15-year-old carded five birdies and an eagle on Sunday to climb 23 spots up the leaderboard.
“I knew this morning something low had to happen,” Morrison said. “Me and my caddie just went out there and figured we had nothing to lose.”
Morrison’s closing 5-under 66 was enough to hold the clubhouse lead until the final group finished. Also at 2-under par for the championship, were Jimmy Lee, a sophomore at Texas A&M, Jacob Sosa, a 2022 Texas commit, and Andres Acevedo, a senior at Seton Hall.
Reid Davenport of Austin finished seventh at 1-under-par 283. Austyn Reily of Pottsboro and Stephen Campbell Jr. of Richmond tied for eight at even-par 284. Defending Texas Mid-Amateur champion and last year’s runner-up Chris Wheeler of Addison rounded out the top-10 at 1-over 285.
The TGA extends sincere appreciation to Boot Ranch, its attentive staff and engaged membership, as well as our volunteers for all their help and support ahead of and during the 111th Texas Amateur.
In May of this year, the TGA was forced to reschedule the Texas Amateur from its original mid-June dates after the COVID-19 crisis preempted the ability to conduct statewide events. The TGA and Boot Ranch worked together to ensure a safe and competitive championship was held in 2020.
Extra special thanks to General Manager Emil Hale, Head Golf Professional Alex Rhyne, Golf Course Superintendent Patrick Joy and his amazing grounds crew, Director of Club Operations Monica Kendrick and Executive Chef Casey McQueen. The 111th Texas Amateur would not have been possible without their efforts.
For more information on the 111th Texas Amateur, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes