Keaton Vo Leads Boys 15-18 Division at George Hannon Junior Invitational
Briefly: Keaton Vo of Austin leads the Boys 15-18 Division at the George Hannon Junior Invitational presented by Texas Mutual following a 3-under-par 68 in Round 1 at The University of Texas Golf Club. Mimi Burton of Austin and Alexa Saldana of Naucalpan, Mexico are tied for the lead in the Girls 12-18 Division with opening rounds of 2-under 69, while Plano’s Rhett O’Rear fires a 1-over 72 to lead the Boys 14 & Under Division by one stroke.
1) Keaton Vo Austin 68
2) Andrew Spaulding Spring 69
T3) Blake Moreno Austin 70
T3) Kevin Watts Colleyville 70
T3) Kellan McGinnis Austin 70
T3) Jeffrey Zatorski Houston 70
T1) Mimi Burton Austin 69
T1) Alexa Saldana Naucalpan 69
T3) Nicole Vivier Austin 70
T3) Julia Vollmer San Antonio 70
Boys 14 & Under
1) Rhett O’Rear Plano 72
T2) Trenton Mierl Austin 73
T2) Henry Guan Irving 73
T2) Daniel Macias Austin 73
Golf Course: The University of Texas Golf Club was built in 2003 and designed by Bechtol Russell Golf Course Design. The par-71 championship golf course stretches across the Texas Hill Country and overlooks Lake Austin. The 7,412-yard layout offers challenging shots and some of the best views in Austin. It is the home of the University of Texas Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams and has played host to the George Hannon Junior Invitational presented by Texas Mutual five times. Round 1 was contested at 6,900 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division; 5,842 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division and 6,301 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Weather: The temperature reached 101 degrees with winds reaching 12 mph out of the south.
In Contention: Keaton Vo of Austin carded an opening round 3-under-par 69. The 2022 University of Texas commit made the turn at 2-under. He birdied the par-3 sixteenth and the par-4 seventeenth and closed out Monday’s round with a par on the par-4 eighteenth to lead the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke. Vo looks to win his first Legends Junior Tour event in the Boys 15-18 Division on his home course and future college stomping grounds.
“It’s a tough course so you just got to take what it gives you sometimes,” Vo said. “I am lucky enough to play a lot of times here so I can just trust my game and trust my shots and hopefully it will pay off.”
Andrew Spaulding of Spring sits solo second after carding a 2-under 69. Blake Moreno of Austin, Kevin Watts of Colleyville, Kellan McGinnis of Austin and Jeffrey Zatorski of Houston are all tied third at 1-under 70.
In the Girls 12-18 Division, Mimi Burton of Austin and Alexa Saldana of Naucalpan, Mexico are tied for the lead at 2-under 69. Burton, a sophomore at Vandegrift High School, had a bogey-free back nine and carded three birdies in Monday’s round. Saldana started and finished strong carding 1-under on each nine. She carded five birdies in the first round. Both will look to take home their first Legends Junior Tour win in tomorrow’s final round.
Austin local and incoming Southern Methodist freshman commit Nicole Vivier is tied third with San Antonio’s Julia Vollmer at 1-under 70. Gabbi Bentancourt of Frisco sits solo fifth at even par. Two players in the Girls 12-18 Division are tied sixth at 1-over 72.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Rhett O’Rear of Plano fired a 1-over 72 in Monday’s first round. The 13-year-old had a steady round and birdied the hardest hole on the golf course, the par-4 fifth. He holds a one shot lead in his division.
Trenton Mierl of Austin, Henry Guan of Irving and Daniel Macias of Austin are tied second at 2-over 73. Five players are tied fifth at 4-over 75.
What’s Next: Final Round tee times start Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m. off No. 1 tee at UT Golf Club.
More Info: For more information on the George Hannon Junior Invitational presented by Texas Mutual, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Trey Bosco wins the 111th Texas Amateur after a closing 2-under-par 69 at Boot Ranch. The 18-year-old from Austin captures the victory by one and is the second straight Baylor Men's Golf player to hoist the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy.
... 1 CommentsBoot Ranch Congratulations, Trey Bosco!37 Likes