Preston Stout, Matthew Comegys, Trenton Mierl, Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore Win Divisions at North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE – Preston Stout of Richardson and Matthew Comegys of Plano win a share of the North Texas Classic after firing a total of 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes to become co-champions of the Boys 15-18 Division. MacKenzie Moore of Trophy Club shot a final round 1-under-par 71 to tie Ryann Honea of San Angelo who carded a closing 4-over 75. They both posted 2-under-par 142 for the championship and were crowned co-champions of the Girls 12-18 Division. Austin’s Trenton Mierl fired a 6-under-par 66 to the run away with the Boys 14 & Under Division title by four strokes.
Boys 15-18 Division
- Preston Stout 65 – 68 | 133
2. Matthew Comegys 66 – 67 | 133
3. Connor Adams 71 – 69 | 140
Girls 12-18 Division
- Ryann Honea 67 – 75 | 142
2. MacKenzie Moore 71 – 71 | 142
3. Lauren Rios 74 – 69 | 143
Boys 14 & Under Division
- Trenton Mierl 68 – 66 | 134
2. Connor Cassano 71 – 67 | 138
T3. Rhett O’Rear 71 – 70 | 141
T3. Nicholas Logis 69 – 72 | 141
As the Boys 15-18 Division came down to the wire, co-champions were crowned. Richardson’s Stout shot an impressive 4-under-par front 9 in Sunday’s final round but it was not enough to hold off Plano’s Comegys. A bogey by Stout on the 16th gave Comegys an opportunity to capitalize, and he did just that with a birdie on the 16th hole. He closed with a birdie on the par-5 18th to card a 5-under-par 67 and become a co-champion of the North Texas Classic. Finishing solo third, Connor Adams of Dallas carded a 3-under-par 69 to post 4-under 140 for the championship.
In the Girls 12-18 Division, MacKenzie Moore was impressively consistent both days carding back-to-back rounds in red figures and claim a co-champion title. The 18-hole leader, Ryann Honea, struggled on Sunday. However, a clutch birdie on the difficult par-3 17th gave her a share of the lead heading into 18. Moore and Honea closed out the championship with pars to win by one stroke. Lauren Rios of Coppell bounced back with a 3-under-par 69 on Sunday to finish one stroke behind Honea and Moore and round out the top three.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Trenton Mierl captured his third LJT victory of the season. His impressive rounds of 68 and a bogey-free 66 to post 10-under-par 134 was enough to win by four shots. With the victory, Mierl will extend his lead in the Player of the Year Standings. Connor Cassano of Shreveport shot a final round 67 to finish second, while Rhett O’Rear of Plano finished with a 2-under-par 70 to tie for third with Nicholas Logis of Austin who shot a final round even-par 72.
Tournament Format: The North Texas Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for golfers ages 12-18 that have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is split into three divisions: Boy 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under. Players earned their way into the field by playing in Alliance Partner Events and attaining status with the Legends Junior Tour.
Weather: Clear skies, slightly breezy with a high of 89 degrees.
Tournament History: This is the sixth year of the North Texas Classic and the fifth year hosted by Tangle Ridge Golf Club. In 2015 the Legends Junior Tour added the event to the fall schedule to better accommodate the growing demand for more events for junior golfers. The event has seen signups grow each year and the North Texas Classic has quickly become one of the top-ranked Open Events on the LJT schedule.
At Stake: Along with an LJT victory, players are also jockeying for position to earn valuable Player of the Year points as well as exemptions into future LJT Invitational and Major events and AJGA PBE Stars. The Player of the Year Standings are used to determine player of the year along with entry into the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational and set the teams for the Jackie Burke Cup matches later this year.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes